Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding adopted child?

Default Breastfeeding adopted child?

My husband and I are adopting a little girl from China. She will be between 6-12 months when we get her, most likely around 7 or 8 months. I know there are ways for me to stimulate my breast milk, but won't she be too old to take to breastfeeding?

I'd love to breastfeed her. I think it would be wonderful for her health and also for our bonding, but we will be working against 7-8 months of bottle feeding and most likely she will have begun on solid foods by the time she comes to us.

Opinions anyone? I'd be grateful for your thoughts. I'm thinking this won't be possible, but I thought I'd stop and ask anyway. Never hurts to gather knowledge.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Breastfeeding adopted child?

ok, I am gonan hook you up to a great site for adoptive breastfeeding. i am sure there is something here as well, but go to www.asklenore.info she has a message board on adoptive bfing, and she has a protocol that Dr. Jack Newman does to stimulate milk production. also, tips on how to help get baby to breast. its possible. I know of women who have gotten their 5 month olds to breast after never breastfeeding. I commend you for wanting to do this. this is just awesome! please let us know who you progress!

Default Re: Breastfeeding adopted child?

Thanks, coastieoswife. That site has lots of good information.

Have you seen these articles here?
    Adoptive Breastfeeding

Especially this one.
    Adoptive Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

How much time do you have to prepare?

Yes, please keep us updated!

Mary