Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spitting up?

Question spitting up?

quick question...if baby is at breast, gags a little and then comes off and spits up milk (not vomit, just straight breast milk), does it mean that her tummy is full?

She hasn't eaten in two hours, just put her to the breast for 6 minutes and this happens. It happened a few times last night. She is giving me "hungry" cues, but maybe I am reading it wrong.

What do you think?

She is a hard/vigorus sucker, maybe she is just wanting comfort sucking and not food?

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: spitting up?

The gagging a little bit can be caused by on overactive letdown (OALD). If you offer again after that, what does she do? My first thought would not be that she is full. If it seems that she just wants to comfort suck, you can put her on your less full breast.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

when I offer it again, she takes it and has now been there for about 12 minutes swallowing away. Thank you, I will have to look into OALD.

I agree w/pp. My DS comes off, spits up, and then wants to eat more. I think it's just too much too fast! Once the flow slows down, he's fine. Just keep those burp clothes close by

Definitely lots of burp cloths.

If LO sucks vigorously at first, a harder milk ejection will be the result! OALD sounds like a good place to start researching! Good luck!

Thank you so much, you guys are so very helpful and I truly appreciate it!

I have tried a modified position, suggested for OALD, she sits, legs strattling my thigh, mouth level w/breast and it has helped a lot with the spitting up. Then, after she settles in to feeding, we switch to cradle. I also try to burp her after the first 3-5 minutes routinely now as well.

have a great day!

My baby girl is 3 weeks old and we have been having some of the same problems.

At first she started spitting up curdled milk and now she is vomiting after feedings. She doesn't do it all the time, but she has the last two times we have fed today (4-28-08). I don't think she is getting too much because she is nursing on each breast for about 10 minutes. She does have a hard time burping though this is when she does vomit. She also has a tendancy to get fuzzy and restless especially at night after a feeding. Could there be something wrong or am I just reading into too much? HELP!!!!!

I was told by the nurse to burp her more often, but if I do that she will stop nursing all together and not get enough milk. She then will be hungry in one or two hours.

Right now she eats every three to four hours and at night she can go five hours.

I need help! I don't understand how breast milk is so easily digested, but why would she be vomiting it back up!

Please help!!!!