Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritated and Tired

Default Irritated and Tired

My 2 week old is making nursing at night irritating, any advise would be appreciated.

During the daytime he is great, eats 2-3 hours not a problem. He is usually up at 6am until 8am then sleeps most of the day, up from 5pm to 6 or 7. Feeding is great in the daytime.

10pm is the issue. This is the last feeding before I head off to bed. It is like he knows I am going to bed because this is when he decides to eat every hour. 10pm, 11pm, 12am then for an hour between 2-3am. He eats one side for 10 mins, falls asleep, 10 on the other and falls asleep. I put him down and he fusses wanting to eat only do do so for a short amount of time then fall asleep. At some point he falls asleep for good and then gets up at 6am. I am thinking about using a bottle for some of these feedings so DH can help and I can sleep. How much would a young one eat at this age to keep him satisfied.

Any advice?

I love to breastfeed until the sun goes down.
    Proud mother to a 24 wk preemie girl, born 9/6/04 and to a full term baby boy, born 4/9/08.

Default Re: Irritated and Tired

I have no advice for you momma, but I know someone on here will!!! Just keep your head up! You are doing a great job! And lots of !

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Two weeks is a great time for a growth spurt. Sometimes it can help to make sure daytime seems that way and nighttime seems that way. For example, when DS was really little, he napped in the bouncy seat in the family room and I did whatever while he was sleeping, including making noise. Then, at night, it's all business. Quite, dark, boring. It sounds like he's cluster feeding, esp. since it sounds like you eventually get a decent stretch of sleep? Here's some info on that normal infant behavior. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Hang in there! It doesn't last forever (although right now I remember having a very hard time with that perspective!)
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

it sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up, that happens to alot of babies.
    when you were pg you moved around and as soon as you laid down to go to sleep that was play time.

do you have older kids?
    The best advice I can give is sleep when the baby sleeps.
    Slowly he's going to get on a more day time schudle ,hes very young yet!

try and tank him up before bedtime, squeze in an extra feed in the eve. while your watching tv.

you could try to encourage the cluster feeds earlier in the evening. Maybe start at 5 or 6 and offer him your breast every hour or so. This way he might take his longer stretch of sleep during the middle of the night.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Hi there! I went through the same thing when my 19 month old was a little one. The Pediatrician told me that he is constantly doing it because I "let him".. he told me that I needed to nurse when I laid him down...keeping him awake (rubbing cheeks, breaking the latch) to keep him awake, etc so he gets everything and THEN he can go to sleep. And if he wakes in an hour and then another hour he said its his stomach waking him out of habit. So you might have a night of crying here or there but if you can set a schedule it might work out in the long run. I hope this has made some sense...

Quote Originally Posted by mommybean View Post
    My 2 week old is making nursing at night irritating, any advise would be appreciated.
    I am thinking about using a bottle for some of these feedings so DH can help and I can sleep. How much would a young one eat at this age to keep him satisfied.

Any advice?

I love to breastfeed until the sun goes down.
    I am sure you will get many great suggestions, my personal story is...we had a whole lot of pain in the breast issues that had hindered me from bfing. So we went to the bottle (pump and fed - never formula) when she was 8 days old (or so) and I bfed when I could, but it was real seldom. I started to bf again when she was 4 weeks old. The last 4 days we have bfed all day and bottle fed one time only. The bottle is before bedtime. This way no fussing, I know exactly how much she gets and she falls a sleep easily.

At 2 weeks she ate about 1 to 1.5 oz. Now she eats 3.5 to 4 oz.

For now it works for us. However, I have to admit I am very lucky to have a LO that prefers nursing to bottle, nipple to pacifier even though we started her off wrong foot with both. She never gave up hope that mama would get the hang of it and waited :-)

Wishing you all the best -- hang in there like you have been doing, it will all work out at the end.

Kay :-)

Probably is a growth spurt mixed in with a little night/day reversal...

Is baby sleeping with you ? Co-sleeping (safely) is what saved my sanity

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Co-sleeping (safely) is what saved my sanity.
    Totally agree. If I couldn't just flop over and stick a boob in his mouth, I'd be insane by now from lack of sleep.

I just went through one of kiddo's growth spurts. It was just like that - I swear I nursed him for almost 24 hour straight, three days in a row. Then he slept a LOT for a few days, and now he's almost three inches longer.

It gets better! Some days are just really hard, especially when those days are nights.

Talking Re: Irritated and Tired * FOLLOW UP - it worked

OK GREAT FOLLOW UP!!! I took the advise to cluster feed starting at 5pm. I fed everytime he looked ready to eat. I also kept him awake the best I could. I got my 3 year old to help play with him and also made it look like daytime until my 3yr old go ready to go to bed. At 9pm, TV was turned off, lights dimmed and he fed just for 10 mins.

I went to bed 10pm and had to wake him at 12pm, then 4, and now. I slept so well. He did too, as well has DH.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE!!!!!
    Proud mother to a 24 wk preemie girl, born 9/6/04 and to a full term baby boy, born 4/9/08.