Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad news :(

Unhappy Bad news :(

This has been one of the worse days of my life. I've been told by the docs that I need to stop breastfeeding directly. DD2 was born with a straberry birthmark on her lip and because that area is so sensible, the friction with the breast has caused an ulcer in the lip. It has been ten days and the wound is just getting bigger and bigger.

The docs said that I must keep the area dry and feed her by dropper or spoon. I tried doing that today and she spilled half of it out. Anyone out there that has done it, please give me some pointers.

I have plenty of milk, I think I have over supply so pumping will not be a problem, but I am soooo sad she won't be sucking my breast, for a while.

I am extremely sad and disapointed. Breastfeeding DD1 (21 months) was the most beautiful experience, I have becomed involved locally, I am in the process of becoming a LLL Leader and I even took a Lactation Educator course in the US when I was visiting (I live in South America), all because of such a beautiful experience. I was so looking forward to BF DD2. I am not sure I can describe how I feel, I know that I need to do what is best for my daugther and that is to heel the wound, but I am thinking that I will at least BF once a day, just to put her to sleep and see if just by feeding her once a day won't affect the healing process.

Thank you all for listening (reading) I really need to express myself, nobody here understands me (except my husband who is away on a business trip), Nobody understands what I will loose by her not feeding and us looking straight into our eyes, I think some of you understand what I mean. My hope is that this will heal soon and she will get back into her favorite feeding mechanism, but the docs were not very optimistic since they think that once it heals it could start all over again once she gets on the breast again.

Jenny Bertha, Living in Guayaquil, Ecuador

Mommy to
    Ilona born 8-20-2005
    Mia born 2-25-2008

Default Re: Bad news :(

Is your doc sure that it is a strawberry mark? Could it be a vascular malformation? http://www.novanews.org/ - I only ask because the correct diagnosis is important with VMs.

As far as the nursing - we had a similar but different problem. We could not nurse C for 6 weeks b/c she was born with Lymphatic Malformation that had caused nerve damage which led to poor latch.

Anyway - could you put her to breast 1-2 times per day? Then spoon feed the rest? Syringe feed worked better for me.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Hey There,
    I totally understand your disappointment. Remember though that you can still bottle feed while cuddling her up to your breast or after feeding times lay with her against your bare chest or breast to bond with her. Good Luck. ~RoseAnne

We understand.

Could you try feeding by cup or syringe (less risk of spilling)? Here's some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...eding.html#Cup

Don't forget that your local LLL Leader would be a great source of info and support.

Keep us updated!

I understand why you are feeling sad. It's frustrating when the people in your life just don't get it, but you are a wonderful mommy for caring so much and you will find ways to either get around this or get through it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

aww momma I feel your pain, I had to stop BF for 1 week (at least i thought i did, bad ped, slow to gain, etc....) and I cried constantly I never thought I'd love it so much but I do. No one understood and I had yet to join LLL or find this forum.... My husband didn't even get it totally, he does now.... I cried again for a solid month because i started meds that had a very good chance of drying my supply, so far so good, I still have the same supply as before

I am sending you all the positive energy I can that this will pass and you two can resume your BF Relationship, until then cherish your 1 time a day and try to think when, not if you can BF again fully....

I am a firm believer now that thinking positive really can help!!!

Please keep up Updated as I will be thinking of you!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Lots of . I would stay on those dr.s and make them listen as much as possible!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thanks everyone for your responses. The suport really helps.

The good news is that I've been pumping great 5oz every 3hrs which for now is enough. DD2 is feeding from a syringe and is doing OK, not great but OK, she is drinking between 2 to 3oz every 3hrs. But we are not doing 40 min sessions every 3 hrs sometimes she takes it all in 20 mins and sometimes it may take the whole 2hrs. she gets very gassy and cries a lot but at least she is eating more than I thought she would take.

I'll keep you posted on how I am doing.

Jenny Bertha, Living in Guayaquil, Ecuador

Mommy to
    Ilona born 8-20-2005
    Mia born 2-25-2008