Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One More Than The Other

Default One More Than The Other

Hello All. New mom with a question on milk supply. How do you even out production? It seems that one breast is always bigger and more full than the other. Leads me to uneven feeding in an attempt to even things out, which only makes it worse. Should I just continue to try switch from one breast to the other at each feeding and live with the engorgement of the overproducer - hoping that things will eventually even out once my baby regulates me output? I don't want to pump, because again, that leads to the same issue. Any advice? The lopsidedness is not fun.

Default Re: One More Than The Other

Be consistent. Don't put the baby to the fuller breast more often as it continues to send the signal that it needs to produce more. However you CAN pump a little to ease engorgement. If you only pump a little to take the edge off it sends a message that the feeding session on that side are someitmes shorter and that's a good message. Not as good as ignoring the breast completely when it's not it's turn, but if your really suffering and need relief, it's an option. Also, there's a good possiblity that the fuller breast will become your child's favorite and that initial latch pain wil be less on that same side. Still be consistent. And when you are ready to start pumping, I've found that pumping less on that side(intentionally) is a good way to get things to even out..

Hi There!

How old is your baby? It's fairly normal for one breast to produce more than the other. However if one side is getting engorged consistently and the other is not, there may be some things you can do to "equalize" them.

Can you give me a little more detail about your feeding patterns?

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi, she's a week old. We nurse every two hours or so (a little longer towards the end of a night - she loves to sleep). I usually wake her up to nurse and I try to switch between sides.

I guess what I did was pump and fully empty that breast once which sent the message that it's the main supplier. Now I'm going in the opposite direction: not pumping at all but still alternating hoping it will even out. Still very painful on both of them but particularly that side.

If I do pump to take the "edge off", how long should I pump and how much should I pump out?

It sounds like you're doing all the right things! Time, more than anything, will probably solve the problem. Since your baby is only one week old, your body is in "super milk production" mode at the moment! Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

thank you so much. I feel so much better knowing that things will eventaully even out.

I had this problem with my first child, and to be honest it felt quite strange. My right side was over a cup larger than the left, and you could always tell. I experienced it further into our nursing relationship than you at one week. The right side was his favorite too...when I pumped I could see the flow was much better, and of course had more milk, more letdown. To even it out, I would feed on the left then pump it. Then I would pump the left when I fed the right. Do you know what I mean? It did even out after a few weeks so I didn't feel I belonged in a freak show ! I do not recommend this now, as your body is just getting the hang of the milk production and will probably even itself out. Way to go Mama and congrats on the new little one! Your doing a great job!

Sarah, thank you. She is precious. I am evening out - finally. Now if I could just get the aching to stop and get her to latch on to the right one properly.

Now if I could just get the aching to stop and get her to latch on to the right one properly.
    Is it your right side that's engorged? Sometimes babies have trouble latching onto an engorged breast. You can try reverse pressure softening:

1. Lay a clean index finger on either side of your nipple, on the areola

2. Gently press in until the nipple protrudes (sticks out)

3. Hold for 10-15 seconds

This should help gently relieve the swelling around the nipple and hopefully help the baby latch on a little better!

Hugs
    Jen