Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often yogurt and poo

Default How often yogurt and poo

Hi ladies,

So we started whole milk organic yogurt on Monday, and she LOVES it mixed with her fruit for breakfast. My question is... How often can I give her yogurt. She has had it for breakfast for the past 3 days. Is that OK??

Also she has been pooping more often and just MORE since we stared the yogurt. Is this common issue?? Not an unusual consistency but just more and more often. Thanks in advance.

(I'm so glad a read about the amount of sugar in Yobaby on this forum before I started yogurt, I'm glad I can keep sugar out of her diet for as long as I can!!)
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: How often yogurt and poo

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread...my LO is the same. Although, she would only poo about once a week with the help of a serving of prunes. We have started organic baby yogurt and she has gone 5x in the last 4 days. We were thinking the yogurt is helping, but I don't want it to do any damage.

Hmmm... I don't know the answer, but I hope somebody does! Actually, right now my LO is on antibiotics (ear infection!) that is making her have diarrhea (so sad ), and her pedi recommended giving her yogurt to help restore the good bacteria in her digestive tract to help the diarrhea go away. DD hasn't really taken to the plain, whole milk, organic yogurt just yet, and last night I even tried mixing some fruit into it, but she still didn't really like it that much... I'm hoping she learns to eventually love yogurt too because it's so good for them!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by buff24 View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know the answer, but I hope somebody does! Actually, right now my LO is on antibiotics (ear infection!) that is making her have diarrhea (so sad ), and her pedi recommended giving her yogurt to help restore the good bacteria in her digestive tract to help the diarrhea go away. DD hasn't really taken to the plain, whole milk, organic yogurt just yet, and last night I even tried mixing some fruit into it, but she still didn't really like it that much... I'm hoping she learns to eventually love yogurt too because it's so good for them!

Buff

The idea behind that is the things in there they call live cultures you can get probiotics for kids and then don't have to mess with yogurt, if you can't/don't want to.

Their poop patterns will change with any new food so I'd say as long as it's not a problem, I wouldn't worry
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    The idea behind that is the things in there they call live cultures you can get probiotics for kids and then don't have to mess with yogurt, if you can't/don't want to.

Their poop patterns will change with any new food so I'd say as long as it's not a problem, I wouldn't worry

I agree. Yogurt is perfectly heathly and a good source of protein, fat, and probiotics. Having it everyday or even twice a day is fine.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

When we started giving DD yogurt, she also pooped more often (at least once a day, compared to once in several days). I always just chalked it up to the probiotics helping to regulate her. That was several months ago, and it's never been a problem. I think more often isn't bad as long as it's not really loose or explosive.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07