Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't I fill her? Any ideas?

Default Re: Why can't I fill her? Any ideas?

Update time.....

We have had a painful few days. I spent yesterday just holding my LO after each BF session - to see how long she would last between feeds. The longest she lasted was one hour and 15 minutes (from the start of one feed until wanting the next). One time I managed to get her to sleep in her crib for a little while.

I understand what you guys are all saying about her needing/wanting to be with me rather than in her crib........but if that is the case, why does she settle down to sleep immediately after she has a bottle feed?

This morning we did 6 hours of exclusive BF-ing (ie no supplemental bottles after BF-ing). She went for 1-2 hours between feeds, but was not happy. Again, I got her into her crib once (for about 20 minutes), the other times I held her - she would fall asleep in my arms, but as soon as she was disturbed (even by me moving slightly), she would start crying and rooting. The last BF-ing session she only managed to last 30 minutes, then fed again, then only went 30 minutes again. As it was the end of the 6 hour window I gave her a bottle - she went nuts with the bottle, chugged the whole thing, and is now sleeping in her crib!! That's why I don't understand....if she is getting enough from BF, why is she soooo different (behaviour wise) when she bottle feeds?

While I would love to have her with me all day, I have to go back to work in a few weeks, so I don't see how it is going to help us to get her used to me carrying her around all day - only to then have to go 9 hours a day without seeing me.

I would like to be able to BF her when we are together (once I return to work I mean), and am concerned that she is maybe associating the supplementary bottle with sleeping (ie even if she gets enough from BF-ing, does she feel like she has to have the bottle to be able to sleep).
    I'm thinking that I should keep doing a certain period of the day where we only BF, and then give her bottles for the rest of the day - in order to transition her to what our routine will be when I'm back at work. I'm hoping that the more we do that, the more she will get used to BF-ing, and will be content with it.
    If that doesn't work then we may be nearing the end of our BF-ing. There is no way I can keep up all of the work associated with BF-ing (BF, bottle feed, pump) once I'm working again - I'm barely managing to do it now. The thought of giving up makes me very sad, as I love BF-ing her.....but I don't know what else to do.

I know a few people suggested co-sleeping, but we are really against that - just our personal choice (nothing against anyone who chooses to do it)

Have you tried compressing your breasts when your lo slows down feeding? Dr. Newman recomends them on his site. Do a google search. If that doesn't work I'd try supplementing with your pumped breastmilk using a tube which and IBCLC can help you with.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time

If I were you, I would get a scale or work with a LC to get the bottom of the problem - to see how much your daughter is getting by BF.

For the mean time, can I ask you a silly question? Are you burping her after BFing?

As for carrying her while soon going back to work, being separated is another reason why it is important for your daughter to feel connected and secure by attaching to you when you guys are together. Babies thrive with human touch, either at NICU or at home.

I hope difficult time passes before you go back to work!
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!