Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grunting and pushing

Default Grunting and pushing

Hello to all. I am a new mother to a beautiful almost 6 week old girl. We've been successfully breastfeeding since she was born. After about 2 weeks she was diagnosed with acid reflux and is now on Zantac. She's better, but still has some spitting up issues. She's gaining weight like a pro ( 7 lbs 14 oz at birth, 10 lbs 6 oz at her last appointment a week ago).

Recently we've come across another issue. For the past 2 weeks she's been grunting and pushing really hard like she has to poop but with no results. She went from having 5-6 poopy diapers a day to now having one every 3 days. I understand that their schedules may change and that this could be normal. Its the grunting and pushing that's really concerning me. She strains and pushes so hard that most times she cries actual tears and begins to wail. This happens about every 30-45 minutes during the day and about every hour and a half during the night. Is this normal? We've given prune juice and karo syrup to assist but they don't seem to be working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: Grunting and pushing

If her poops are soft and 'typical' when they do come it's not constipation (and therefore doesn't need any prune juice or other "aids" )

Are you eating anything that could be offending her system? Lots of anything like wheat, dairy, etc?
    Here's a page that might have something helpful for ya.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the welcome!

The poop is a little more "pasty" then normal, a little thicker in consistency. Is that normal?

I haven't changed anything in my diet since she's been born because she hadn't reacted to anything in particular. I eat a standard diet-lots of chicken and fish (some red meat occasionally), veggies, dairy, and fruit. Is it possible that she's having a reaction to something at this point?

Also, is that amount of pushing and being uncomfortable normal?

Thanks for the link. I actually followed it to another link that makes me think I have OALD as well.
    Last edited by AmericanSigyn; April 24th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add another question.

If you notice thats whats typical for her after no poops for a few days, then yep - it is 'normal' for her

Learning about their bodies and how it functions is a lifelong lesson - and changes with every child Just keep an eye on everything and as always talk to her doc if you get really worried BUT since she's gaining well, thats a good ssign

How long has she been on the reflux med? have they changed the dosage for her weight?
    (keep in mind the reflux med isn't geared to stop the spitting up, just to make the acids less present and/or acidic therefore the spitting up less painful )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'll definitely keep an eye on her poop!

I look forward to learning more about her every day!

She's been on the Zantac for almost 3 weeks now. They've upped her dosage from .25 ml to .3 ml since she's been on it.

Thanks again!