Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bfing OCD?

Default Bfing OCD?

I think I have OCD with breastfeeding.

DD is 3 months old now, but the first month and a half of breasfteeding her I had to nurse her right before we would go ANYWHERE cuz 1. we had to use a nipple shield, and 2. i had never nip before. 3. i have larrrge breasts and didnt have a cover, nor was good at keeping my boobies covered.. soooo everytime we went ANYWHERE I had to nurse RIGHT before we went out. I guess I got it in my head to do this back then I still do it now.

Now I can NIP. 1. I no longer use a shield YAY FOR US 2. I have a cover now, and 3. I LOVE to NIP!

But I still like THINK "okay feed her now, leave and come home feed her again" even IF I KNOW i am going to be out for longer then a 2 hour time frame*(thats how often she has always ate) I also just DO it without even noticing sometimes. I'll PLAN to nurse her before we go ANYWHERE! So lately I havent gottent he chance to NIP cuz shes always content and not hungry.

How can I get over this? Am I subconscienclty thinking this? Do other moms think and feel the same way. I Just dont even know how to explain it really. AHH!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: Bfing OCD?

I do it still because it's just easier to feed LO at home than to have to pull over or something to do it!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

If it works for you, why change it? Feed on demand is what I went by. If she's not hungry, don't worry about it.
    Congrats on your goal!!

I have to wean due to not being able to have enough time at work to pump, and having my basement and kitchen remodeled, my mom (who is my nanny ) will have my son at her house and I won't get to see him as much.

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

I have to same train of thought as you. Feed her before we go, then she will be content and not cry. But sometimes still have to NIP if we are out too long.

I don't think you have OCD. OCD is a very serious disorder

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric anxiety disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions.

Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
    The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive.
    In addition to these criteria, at some point during the course of the disorder, the sufferer must realize that his/her obsessions or compulsions are unreasonable or excessive. Moreover, the obsessions or compulsions must be time-consuming (taking up more than one hour per day), cause distress, or cause impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.[2] OCD often causes feelings similar to those of depression."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

You just got used to doing something. If your baby doesn't mind and if your family doesn't mind then there is no problem with it. I mean...if you are forcing your baby to nurse if she doesn't want to then that could be a problem but if its a mutual thing then I don't think you need to worry about OCD. Its just a habit you got into and have continued doing.

I know exactly what you mean.. I do it without even thinking about it. If we are going out anywhere, I always feed him right before we go and again right when we get back.

I dont feed her when she ISNT hungry. I just manage EVERYTIME i go ANYWHERE to work it around the time to feed her lol she nurses every 2 1/2 hours or so.

I guess its okay, I just felt like there was something wrong with me for thinking this way. BUT now that I know other moms kind of do the same thing I'm okay with it.

Thank you!

CAYLA

I do the same mama Its just easer to feed before you get in the car to sorta 'top 'em off' thats the beauty of nursing!!
    I wish that I tried this way earler! I have gigantic ta-tas and this is sooo helpful for me. I still (my baby is 6 months old) have to nurse with both of my hands So I have to be able to see whats going on down there Give thit a look.

http://www.target.com/gp/search/602-...&ref=sr_bx_1_1

they have sooo many and they are really light weight cotton. I live in sw FL, so its hot down here and I hate to see her get hot too. So worth the mula!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I have gigantic ones as well. as do i have a hooter hider =)
    thanks!!

CAYLA

As a pp said, there's nothing wrong with "topping them off" before you go out and nothing wrong with planning outings around feeding schedules. You are doing a great job, mama!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous