Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping - what's the secret?

Default Pumping - what's the secret?

So I'm trying to pump in between feedings to increase milk production and in case I need to get away and let someone else handle feedings but I'm having some issues.
    I know I have enough milk because my daughter gained 5 oz more than her birth weight by week 2 - the Dr says she's doing great!
    So why can't I get more than 1/2 oz each time I pump?
    I know baby's suction is better than the pump but is there some secret I'm missing?
    I've been waiting an hour after her last feeding (the end of it) before going to the pump in hopes I'll have more come out and I've been cranking the suction power.
    Does anyone know any tricks to this or is there something I should know but don't?
    Thanks!!

Default Re: Pumping - what's the secret?

Try this http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=42269and check out the pumping section lower down on the page, you will get more answers there. HTH!

Talking Re: Pumping - what's the secret?

Quote Originally Posted by NAOMI View Post
    Try this http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=42269and check out the pumping section lower down on the page, you will get more answers there. HTH!
    THANKS!!!

I get very little out even an hour after a feeding as well. I've read that this is normal for exclusively breastfeeding moms. I would look at www.kellymom.com, I can't quote you the exact page on that website but there is a ton on there about pumping and what's normal, etc and it was EXTREMELY helpful. It was fairly easy to search that site and find the info.

The only way I can get out an amount that seems significant is if I pump during the night when DS has gone a long time between feedings. If LO is draining the breast well then you would not be expected to have a lot to pump out right after or an hour later. Your body adjusts to produce exactly what LO needs therefore unless you have an oversupply you would not have a ton left over after a feeding. If you give a bottle and then pump out that entire feeding the amount would be more of course. Hope this helps.

If you keep pumping once or twice a day, your body may adjust to the "new demand" you can keep adding to one bottle in the fridge for up to 48 hours after the first bit is pumped. Then transfer to the freezer. Building a stash is a slow process, but you can do it.

Talking Re: Pumping - what's the secret?

And don't forget to drink LOTS and LOTS of water!!!!!!!

I've just started pumping and have found that the best times are either after their first feed in the morning (boobs are usually very full then) or during their sleep in the day....my babe sleeps for about 3hrs in the day so I wait until and hour or so has passed and then pump. Make sure you're really relaxed though and try not to look at the pump while you're doing it, I think that takes your mind off your babe and your body will know you're trying to 'trick' it!!!

oh...and also, try and mimic your babes suction! My babe will do some long swallows followed by 10 or so little sucks and then back to long swallows...if I do this rhythmically (spelling!!) then I get more out! Hope this helps??

Hi, I was using a manual breast pump and was only getting about 1 and a half ounces and had to have my little one on the other breast to be able to get any at all, I was advised to try in the bath and this did help me get some milk without my little one being on but still only got about an ounce and I know that my little one was getting more than that. In desperation I bought an eletcric medela pump and am now getting 6 and a half ounces off which is fantastic so this certainly helped for me. If thats not an option then I was also advised to try and pump the same time every day and then your body should produce the extra feed required. Hope this helps

it may take you a whole day of pumping to get a full feeding...but thats normal. Thats why I usually only feed from one breast in the morning and pump the other bec it is usually at its fullest when I am trying to stock up. I also pump at 11pm bec the last feed of the night was 8pm and 3 hours gives me enough time to usually get a bottles worth from both breast combined! I also feel massaging the breasts the whole 20 min helps me get out every last drop! I alo agree with a pp..LOTS OF WATER!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!