Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much bf and solids for 8 mo?

Question How much bf and solids for 8 mo?

How much did your baby eat at 8 months of age? My dd is almost 8 months and I would just like an idea of what other babies her age are eating. Right now she nurses about 6 or 7 times and eats solids once. I think she is wanting more solids but dont want to lose anymore nursing sessions.
    Thanks!

Default Re: How much bf and solids for 8 mo?

My dd was eating solids at least 3 times a day, but very little each time. It's just easier for us, b/c big sis is in the high chair, so we put her in at the same time. She is almost 9 months and is eating 3 times a day, sometimes more.

I give her a little of this and that and she usually gets fussy and wants out of the chair when she's had enough.

Every mother here will probably have a different answer, so look to your LO for cues. IMO, if the baby is wanting more solids, then give more.

I don't know how many times a day we nurse, I'd have to guess about 6 or 9, but I don't keep track this time.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My lo is 8 mo today!

She has 3 bottles at daycare (about 6 oz each), and nurses about 3 other times during the day/night. She also eats breakfast (~2oz fruit/veg, 2tbs cereal or yogurt) and dinner (same).

My son's 8 months and so far he's nursing about 6-8 times a day and eats solids once or twice a day. Usually it's only once a day but he can easily eat twice a day...I think it's up to you. From what it looks like, eating at this point doesn't really matter but is for fun and to get them used to it. My son doesn't eat a lot of his solids but I mainly give them to him when we're eating out or during dinner so I can eat without having to fight him off
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

My DD is 7 months 1 week old. She eats solids once a day. I'm lucky if she eats 1/2 a jar and other days she'll eat a whole 2 oz. jar. She nurses on demand when she's with me and drink 2-3 bottles at daycare.

I want to try to give her solids in the morning before I head to work, but it usually doesn't work out with my time schedule. But I'm going to try for once in the morning and once at dinner time.

Good luck!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Hi! DD will be 8 months in a couple of days.
    On average, she nurses 7 times a day and eats solids 2-3 times a day.
    Each (solid) meal is about 2-3 oz., sometimes more sometimes less.
    I think pp is right - every LO is different.
    Don't worry too much about losing the breastmilk to solids - my DD just keeps increasing the solids, but maintains the BM!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Hunter is 9 mo and we nurse 6-7x/day and he gets solids once or twice a day. However, He may go 3 days w/o wanting solids, which is fine with me
    nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

my lo is 8 month old eats 3 solids a day 3-4 tablespoons of cereal in the morning and half a fuit or veggie jar (second foods) lunch is whatever i am eating or a friut or veggie jar and snack of teething cookie of crunchies from gerber or the puffs for dinner she eats a gerber second foods dinner and just starting eating a fruit too

Thanks everyone. I tried 3 solids today. She had baby oatmeal with 1 oz of pears for breakfast. Lunch was corn and fish (real food, not baby, I hope fish is okay) and dinner was chicken and greenbeans. She feeds herself and suprised me so much with how well she did at it. She loved all the food too. I even gave her a cup with water and she picked it up herslef and drank it....she didnt seem and fussy today too. Oh and she still nursed the same amout! That was the best part.

fish is a high allergen so it is usually recommended to delay it. Also many types of fish are high in mercury. See this link:
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/int...fishtobaby.htm
    personally we are not introducing fish to my son because I was allergic as a child.

My son is almost totally refusing solids at 9 months, so as others have said it is different for each child.

You might like to read about baby led solids - sounds like your baby is into self feeding. appropriate table foods are fine for a baby 8 months old. The site that is linked above has information on BLS if you do some exploring on other parts of the site.