Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reusing heated milk

Question reusing heated milk

hi-
    does anyone know if it is safe to re-refrigerate milk that has been heated but the baby didn't drink it all?
    And- I'm using the drop-in system by Playtex because he likes the nipple- but I wish I didn't have to use disposable liners because I read you are not suppose to refigerate the milk in them. Does anyone use other bottles with the latex natural latch nipples- (the ones that are brown soft rubber, not the one s that are hard plastic)?
    Thanks,
    Suzie

Default Re: reusing heated milk

I use the playtex nurser system with the drop ins. I've never heard about not refrigetating milk in them. Heck I freeze my milk in them. I re-use heated milk all the time and I don't know if I'm supposed to but he's never had a problem, and never gottne sick. and my DS hates the plastic nipples we only use the latex ones (brown ones)

Hi-
    I was reading about storing milk on the FAQ section of this site and that's where I read about not storing breastmilk in the liners- I'd love it if others could weigh in on this topic. (not the freezer bags that are special for milk- I'm talking about the drop in liners that collapse as he eats which is what you are talking about too). Thanks for your info- I will reheat the milk instead of tossing it.
    Hope you are well,
    Suzie

You aren't supposed to re-refidgerate any milk that has come in contact with the babies mouth. Because of bacteria. I never had a problem with it either because there are anti-bacterial propeties in breast milk. But your are supposed to use 2 oz intervals instead so nothing has to get thrown away.

I do not think it best for the milk to be reheated not only for bacteria issues but each time it is cooled and reheated I believe more and more antibodies are destroyed. Also I have noticed that it gets a "funky" smell once it has been reheated. I tried it once but didn't like the smell so I tossed the milk.

Actually.... another reason is that the enzymes in saliva that start the digestion process of breaking down proteins, fats, antibodies, etc., will start to break down the milk in the bottle when saliva gets into the bottle as soon as baby has the nipple in their mouth.... these processes are somewhat slowed down by cooler temps (refrigerator), but not stopped altogether. That's why some people (incl my MIL) say it's OK to put a 'started' bottle back into the 'fridge for an hour or so, but any longer than that and it's TOSS TIME!
    -linda