Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Feeling down... need encouragement!

Default Help. Feeling down... need encouragement!

The Boy is 16 months, and he is cutting his last eye teeth and a molar, and I am having a hard time. We co-sleep and nurse, which some nights right now means sleeping with him attached to my breast for much of the night (i.e. he isn't sleeping well). My husband is working out of the country, so it is just me and The Boy... no one else to tend to him in the evenings. (He goes to daycare during the day.) My heart wants to keep going, but my breasts are sore and I want to cry from the frustration (and undoubtedly lack of sleep). I don't know what I am trying to accomplish with this post other than I think I really need a hug and some encouragement. Please tell me this will pass, and I will go back to enjoying the nursing!
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

Default Re: Help. Feeling down... need encouragement!

it will pass, i have learned that. plus after your baby grows nursing will be over with.
    feel better.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you! My 13 month old is cutting teeth and I feel like she is latched to me all day/night. I am exhausted. I work out of my home so its hard to get anything done. I wish I had family or someone who would take her just for a bit so I can rest a bit during the day. As soon as dh gets home he is really helpful but I am still pooped from being up all night. I feel like I have a newborn again. It must be hard for you to have dh away. Hang in there. May we both get rest soon! Time goes so fast. They will be in school and much more independent before we know it. This will be just a little set back we will hardly remember looking back. Get some naps/support if you can. Atleast thats what I am gonna try.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

It will pass. It will get easier! You're doing great and you are pretty much doing it all on your own. Hang in there. The biggest lesson I've learned from my children is that everything is a phase, the good and the bad.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

oh boy do i know what you are talking about.
    we were just there a few months ago.
    the teething can cause a huge amount of nursing,
    sometimes rough nursing where it almost feels like biting.

i would look sternly at my son and say "gentle nurse, nurse gently please"
    and that would really help him calm down with it, singing to him helped too.

it WILL pass and get better and you will be in breastfeeding bliss again!

i remember feeling a little stuck in that situation b/c they are so attached to nursing that i would never dream of an abrupt weaning but i felt like i was ready, but it was just a season and it only helped remind me how much i love o nurse my son.
    sending lots of gentle nursing vibes!

Resentment during teething is not uncommon. I was there too!

Once his teeth were all cut through he was like a different child. Happier, slept better, played better, ate better, etc.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I found that if I let my kids use a pacifier while teething, it satisfys their need for sucking and we are all happier. We tried all different teethers, but for them a pacifier really helps. Now that we are at the last 4 teeth before the 2 yr molars, they are happy with out the pacifiers.

Good Luck
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

I've been thinking about trying a pacifier, but I have to tell you. He has never taken one, and I have tried to get him to take it at various points throughout his short life. Each time he resists. There's just nothing like momma.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

I slept for about 1-2 hours the night before last. . .so last night was much better since dd was only up 3-4 times, and she was nursing, not comfort nursing. I feel like a different woman today. It will pass, and although it's painful for the moment, tomorrow, or next week it may be a different story. I was almost ready to wean, or at least night wean yesterday, but I've learned not to make drastic decisions when I'm sleep deprived! and here's to hoping our lo's cut their teeth and let us sleep a little more!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Ack. Last night was WORSE! He actually bit me in his sleep even-- for just the third (?) time since he was born. I bought a pacifier at lunch. I'm going to give it a try, but he has bucked it so far... I wish the dang teeth would just come in!

Thanks for all of your support. Hopefully the madness will end soon!