Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: right breast bigger for over a week

Default right breast bigger for over a week

my breast has been bigger than the other one for over a week.
    i gave birth a month ago and thought that it was engorged. now i just think that it is making more milk. i try to feed the baby more with the other breast to make it bigger, but it isn't working. any suggestions?
    thanks in advance

Default Re: right breast bigger for over a week

My left breast is bigger than my right, but surprisingly, the smaller breast produces MORE milk. I know this as my LO is a preemie and can't exclusively breastfeed yet, so I still pump milk for her. There is always a difference in the amount of milk (from 0.5oz to 2oz difference) produced by each breast (and the smaller one ALWAYS produces the most).
    I think it's pretty normal - and I don't know what can be done to 'fix' it. Just thought you might like to hear that you're not the only one!

Lopsidedness is very common. You might want to try starting every feeding on the smaller breast for a while, as babies feed most aggressively when they are beginning a feed. That might help increase production in the smaller breast.

I think there was once an entire thread in the commonalities section for lopsided women. You're in good company!

My left side is smaller than (and produces significantly less milk than) my right. I tried feeding off that side first for several days but it never balanced out. To this day when I wake up in the morning the left side feels fine and the right is hard as a rock.

I think it's just a fact of life for some of us, but if it makes you feel any better I don't think anyone notices!

Here's a link.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

thanks for all the help!

I have a similar issue with my left producing more than my right (I know this from pumping output). I started noticing it when DS was 3 wks old (DS is now 5 months). I was afraid the left would stop producing altogether, it felt so soft and flabby and LO couldn't even suck properly because of the flabbiness - like there was nothing for him to grab onto and instead he was just sort of chewing on it - not pleasant! I could tell he was frustrated and he started favoring the good side a lot more. I bought a double electric pump and started pumping the low side to increase the supply. At this point it still produces less but it feels much better and I know the pumping has helped, it feels more normal and DS sucks on it just like the good side now.

Starting each feeding on the low side didn't work for me because LO was so frustrated that it had less that he didn't want to suck for very long plus he wasn't sucking effectively on it anyway. I had to pump to stimulate it properly.

I agree, that kellymom website that another poster suggested was VERY helpful. Good luck!
    Last edited by sweetpeasmommy; April 27th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.