Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping issue

Talking sleeping issue

Hi, I'm new to LLL. I'm terribly undisciplined myself but still trying to establish a routine (sleep, feed, change, play) with my 6-week-old.

For a while she had a problem with constipation. She would fall asleep after feeding, changing, and so on, but would wake up 5 minutes later. So I would pick her up to try to burp her, rub her back, etc. Now she's been pooping regularly, so I thought she would sleep better. But she still wakes up soon after falling asleep. The longest nap she's taken during the daytime hours has been 20 minutes. I read that newborns should sleep for 16-18 hours per day. Is this true for you?

A lady who watched her in the nursery thinks it's unusual for babies to wake up from a nap so soon after going to sleep. I admit, Deborah has been taking fewer naps since being breastfed (since her 2nd week; she's 6 weeks now). I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

So establishing a routine has been hard with her waking up a lot. She cries until the next feed sometimes. Now again, this is only during the day. At night, she's an angel. But I hardly ever get naps during the day!

Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: sleeping issue

How long is she staying up for before she goes back down for a nap?

My lo could only stay awake for about 50 min before needing to take a nap. If I kept her up too long she would nap horribly- only about 30 minutes. Getting her down in time really helped and now she takes about 2hr-2.5 hr naps at 16 weeks.
    In fact there was a news article the other day in the local paper about infants and sleep. It said at the longest they should be able to stay up 90 minutes. If they stay up longer than you miss the opportunity to put them down and they move into a hipper alert stage...
    Make sure that you look for her sleepy cues- rubbing eyes, yawning ect. fussiness is a late sign and means she probably should have gone down sooner.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Have you tried swaddling her? My little guy definitely slept longer when he was a newborn if I swaddled him. Is it possible that she is gassy? That was another big reason my little guy would wake up early from a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by LostinMotherland View Post
    For a while she had a problem with constipation.
    Can you describe what was happening? Did your baby have dry, hard, difficult to pass stools?

She would fall asleep after feeding, changing, and so on, but would wake up 5 minutes later. So I would pick her up to try to burp her, rub her back, etc. Now she's been pooping regularly, so I thought she would sleep better. But she still wakes up soon after falling asleep. The longest nap she's taken during the daytime hours has been 20 minutes. I read that newborns should sleep for 16-18 hours per day. Is this true for you?
    Most babies do sleep that much, but not all babies do. Does she sleep other times of the day? Are her naps, though short, somewhat regular? Does she have at least one long stretch of sleep (3 or more hours) per day?

A lady who watched her in the nursery thinks it's unusual for babies to wake up from a nap so soon after going to sleep. I admit, Deborah has been taking fewer naps since being breastfed (since her 2nd week; she's 6 weeks now). I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    Very doubtful. Every baby is different. Ask any mother who has multiple children--she will tell you that no two children sleep, eat, or poop alike.

So establishing a routine has been hard with her waking up a lot. She cries until the next feed sometimes. Now again, this is only during the day. At night, she's an angel. But I hardly ever get naps during the day!
    Most babies do best on a loose routine that can be modified to fit their needs. Strict schedules often cause more problems than they solve.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/schedule.html

HTH!

[QUOTE=Give Peas A Chance;496085]

Can you describe what was happening? Did your baby have dry, hard, difficult to pass stools?
    No, thankfully! After feeding, I play with her about less than a half hour, I think (I haven't watched the clock on the play time, only the feeding time). When she appears tired (yawn, rub eyes, etc), I put her down and she looks asleep, even snores sometimes. Five minutes later (more or less), she wakes up, fussy I might add.

Most babies do sleep that much, but not all babies do. Does she sleep other times of the day? Are her naps, though short, somewhat regular? Does she have at least one long stretch of sleep (3 or more hours) per day?
    She sleeps at night! and usually naps during the day after feeding and play but only for about 5-20 minutes. The only time she has that long stretch is if we go out of the house anywhere. Is that the only way I can get her to sleep? Please, no!