Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of silly...but have to celebrate!

Default Kind of silly...but have to celebrate!

There are very few people in my "real" world who understand how excited I am about this...so I am going to talk about it here because I know that you all will understand.

My DD is now 14 weeks old. She has been exclusively breastfed for ALL of those 14 weeks! Not a single bottle has passed her sweet lips, with the exception of one 24 hour period at 6 weeks old when I got a severe case of food poisoning and ended up in the ER.

My husband had open heart surgery 4 weeks ago this Friday. Even throughout that intensely stressful and difficult time, I was able to exclusively nurse her. My sisters and the nurses in the ICU where my husband was cared for were all absolute saints in helping me to get through it without giving her a bottle. It probaly helped a lot that his surgery was performed in a Children's Hospital. They were all VERY impressed that I could deal with his surgery AND stick to nursing my 9 week old baby.

DD is my third and final baby. I was not at all successful in nursing my two older sons, now ages 3 and 4. I SO desperantly wanted to be successful at nursing this, my final baby, for at least one year and beyond if possible. I now feel that I am well on may way to accomplishing this goal. Both of my sons were receiving at least one supplemental bottle at this age because I just did not understand the supply/demand issue, was not producing enough milk and did not know what to do about it.

YAY ME!!

(Yes, I am a bit of a dork, but I just cannot help it. I am so darn proud of myself for sticking to it regardless of all the hurdles.)

Default Re: Kind of silly...but have to celebrate!

It's definitely not silly...it's a wonderful accomplishment! Yay for you, mama!

That is awesome. It is an incredible feeling to be able to give your baby the best start. While I was pregnant (my first) I always said I wanted to "try" breastfeeding bcause I had heard how difficult it was by so many people. Now that dd is about 4 mths old and I am actually still doing it, it is a huge sense of pride and accomplishment that I feel. Congratulations to you on being so strong and keep it up!!

Yeeeaaahhhh You!

Congratulations Mummy!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I know how wonderful it feels, and yes, only people here truly understand. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Keep going!! I thought I would give up around the 9 - 11 week period. I literally had about a dozen different things go wrong: loosing my job and knee surgery for the hubby just to tell ya a couple. I just made it to seven months the day before yesterday! The feeling of accomplishment and knowing what a great thing it is for our little one is undescribable! I am beginning to get the "freaky looks and comments" since he is over six months but I don't care. I just tell everyone it is such an emotional bond that I can't even come close to explaining - much like telling someone what it's like to carry a baby inside your belly. You can describe it, but it isn't the same.

Congratulations again (and thanks to all you supportive ladies out there! - we all need each other in this little sorority of ours!)

Take care

You go girl!!

I also used the "I'll try it and see how it goes" philosophy. After figuring out it was going well I thought "ok, we'll go to 6 months" then see where we are. Well, Now dd is past the 5 month mark and still going strong. NO WAY will we stop. It's too much work getting the latch right, getting the supply and demand thing figured out and the closeness is indescribeable!! The two of us will be bf'ing until she weans herself DH is my biggest supporter and is almost as excited as I am!

Congratulations to you again for sticking it out and accomplishing your "mission".

You should be proud of yourself! Congratulations!!!!!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

YAY FOR YOU!

Isn't it amazing the sense of pride and gratification and joy? I had to laugh at her well-meant expression and I totally understood when my MIL (who is one to not say all the emotional things she feels right out) said that even with all the other big accomplishments she's made in her life, one of her greatest sources of pride in herself was her abilities as a "cow."

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I don't think it's silly at all, you are a wonderful mom! I am so excited to still be breastfeeding at 5 months, but I haven't gone through what you have! I've been very tempted to quit, and it doesn't help when people encourage you to give up. Congrats!

Mommyto3, I am celebrating right along with you! I think nobody deserves more admiration and respect than the mother who has a rotten breastfeeding experience with her first baby/babies, but then goes on to successfully breastfeed a subsequent child. And for you to have this successful nursing relationship with your daughter in the midst of your husband's major health crisis -- all the hours you spent at the hospital, all the stress and worry you must have endured -- well, I just wish there were a trophy we could give you. You are so right to be proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing.

--Rebecca