Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relearning to latch

Unhappy Relearning to latch

My daughter is 3 months old, she breastfed like a champ when she was first born. I nursed her every two hours but I noticed when she was a day old that she would continually cry after nursing her and her nurse said because she was a big baby, 9 lbs 7 oz, she needed supplementing. Unfortunately I listened and we haven't stopped supplementing. Basically I haven't breastfed her since she was born. However, I've decided I want to relactate. I'm taking the hers and drinking the teas and pumping. Today I got a SNS, however she will not latch on. I even squirt a little bit so she'll see that she will get food but she fusses and turns away. I tried to finger feed her but that only lasted for 30 seconds, I felt bad and gave her a bottle. How do I teachher how to latch?

Default Re: Relearning to latch

Sorry she wasn't as co-opertive as you would have hoped. I have tried the SNS feeder as well (trying to relactate the left side) and LO wants nothing of it. My only suggestion would be to make an appointment with your lactation consultant and have then sit down with you and baby to get some good one on one pointers with the latching and how to use the SNS feeder. I hear that using a SNS feeder can be a tricky thing to master, but maybe it depends on the mom and baby.

Best of luck!

My daughter forgot how to nurse after just a few days of using a bottle (at 5 days old). We are using a nipple shield and it's working well for the moment. She still is reluctant to nurse without it, but it's gotten us back to being able to nurse...

for wanting to her her back to the breast! This might be a lot of work, but you can do it!!

This is a great (non LLL) resource to start with

I also second the suggestion to talk with an IBCLC (lactation consultant) or a LLL Leader in your area to get some hands on help.

Taking it slow, and giving yourself both time to figure this out again will help keep the stress away. Good luck mama, let us know how it goes!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Hi there,
    I am trying the same thing with my son, he is ten weeks. About a week ago he fought the breast like crazy and would scream! He has been getting milk via bottle since three weeks old. I had to relactate, and the herbs and hospital grade pump did the trick, it took about a week and frequent pumping.
    Last week I finally figured out that when my son nuzzled my chest or turned his face into me before going to sleep that he was attempting to nurse. It took a while but I kept attempting at these times. For me I had to use a nipple shield and hold it in my hand, rub his mouth, then use the breast without it. (I tricked him into thinking the bottle was coming) My son also nursed at birth, so when he does latch, he can get the job done. Getting the latch itself is the hard part. Unfortunately he doesn't understand to open with the breast itself yet. The latch isn't quite perfect, but I have been able to get him to nurse some, even if he takes about half of what he takes at the bottle. It seems to make him very sleepy so sometimes it takes several attempts. I usually offer a supplement afterwards from the bottle. Sometimes he will take it, and sometimes not. For me the clutch hold is the only thing working so far, as I need control over his head to help him.

Keep at it, I know there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel, and I know I will be rewarded when I get there!

PS - I forgot this! Try looking up the Kassing method of bottle feeding to reinforce breast feeding. This helps the baby work on their latch even if it is a bottle. I tried cup and spoong and never worked.