Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep issues

Default Sleep issues

My 17 month old has not slept through the night since she started teething at 7 months. I put her to bed in the crib at night, then take her with me when I go to my bed. Lately, the time she sleeps is getting shorter and shorter. I'll nurse her to sleep, lay her in the crib and 20-30 minutes later she is up and screaming for me. Sometimes I'll try for another nap in the crib, but often she wakes up when I stand up to lay her down, or it takes so long that it's my bedtime. She wakes 2-3 times (on a good night) or more before morning. She only naps 1 hour after lunch, sometimes just 30 minutes. If she has her choice, she'll sleep in until 9 am. I've been waking her up in the morning to see what would happen, but the only change so far is a little longer nap.

I don't mind the cosleeping, or even nursing her to sleep (the first time), but I am getting frustrated that she needs the repeated nursings to sleep, and I would like for her to sleep a longer stretch at the beginning of the evening so I can get some things done or just have some alone time. My husband travels a lot with work, so no real help from him.

Any suggestions on how to get her to sleep longer?

Default Re: Sleep issues

No advice, other than that I'm in the same situation! My dd is 22 months old and hasn't slept alone, ever. . . and her night wakings/nursings are becoming more frequent rather than less. I've got the no cry sleep solution for toddlers/preschoolers and I really like the tips she has in it for night weaning and continued co-sleeping, and for the transition to their own beds. I've just not gotten brave enough to try it! DD is cutting more teeth, so once that's done I'm planning on starting the night weaning. . .never thought I'd be saying that, but btw her and her brother I've not had a 6 hour stretch of sleep for more than 4 years and it's starting to show! Best of luck and that this season sleep deprivation will end soon!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Default Re: Sleep issues

Is she cutting molars or eye teeth? We found that trying to get more sleep during that time was like fighting a losing battle. Once his teeth were all in he started sleeping better and responded to the sleep "training" quicker and with less resistence. I thought I would never sleep again. But at 17 months he does not nurse at night anymore, and it did not take any CIO. He does still wake, and I give him a pat on the back, etc. But he is slowly getting better at putting himself back to sleep.

Lack of sleep is one of the most challenging aspects of parenting in my opinion. You can and will get through it.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)