Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rabbit poo?

Default rabbit poo?

I was babysitting my 21 month old nephew, and when he pooped he filled his diaper with little hard round pellets, like rabbit poop. I was horrified and confused, to say the least. Some of them actually rolled out of his diaper. Does anyone know what kind of foods would cause this. He only nurses twice a day now. Could he have been dehydrated?

Default Re: rabbit poo?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

sounds like a little constipation..
    was he in pain?

Does he get any extra water or juice? Some foods can be constipating, like bananas and fruits with lots of seeds (apples, strawberries, etc). My pedi says to make sure a lot of veggies plus the "P" fruits (prunes, pears, peaches) to prevent constipation.

That sounds like major constipation to me. Stool should be formed, but soft. For us, meat and fats (and less fiber) help constipation. He probably has an imbalance of gut flora though. More info, if you're interested: www.fibermenace.com; www.behealthy.org.uk/gaps.pdf

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thanks for the advice. I had never seen anything like that before. I think he was dehydrated. I was just offering him water, and he didn't want to drink it because he is used to drinking juice at home. I don't like to give him juice because he is CHUNKY. Maybe I'll give him diluted juice next time.

P Foods. Pears, Prunes. Plums.....

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by esther81 View Post
    I was babysitting my 21 month old nephew, and when he pooped he filled his diaper with little hard round pellets, like rabbit poop. I was horrified and confused, to say the least. Some of them actually rolled out of his diaper. Does anyone know what kind of foods would cause this. He only nurses twice a day now. Could he have been dehydrated?
    Is nursing twice a day his only fluid? If so, I'd say give him water to sip along w/ all the other advice

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

The 3 mains ways to combat constipation, whatever your age are (1) exercise (not a problem in your average toddler)...physical movement helps the peristalsis in the bowel, the muscular squeezing that makes the contents move along (2) adequate fluid and (3) fibre intake.

The starchy fruit and veggies (like bananas) despite containing decent amounts of fiber can have a binding effect on the bowels for some individuals. It's completely 'hit or miss' as to who's effected. I know bananas have no negative impact on my son's poops.

Push fluids with him, your idea of watered down juice if he's used to flavoured drinks is perfect. I give James juice every few days in his sippy cup just for variety and a ratio of around 6 parts water to 1 part 100% fruit juice is very tasty (not that I steal a glug in thirsty moments or anything ) and if you can give him snacks or meals high in 'undigestable' plant matter, basically any fruit or veggie that isn't starch rich, that'll help no end.

I know my boy will eat defrosted frozen garden peas until he turns into one and they come out only slightly chewed They're a great source or vitamins, iron, fiber and they're sweet.

My son sometimes gets that kind of poop especially if he eats too much bananas. Pears always solve the problem.