Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: YEY! He likes Goat's milk!

Default YEY! He likes Goat's milk!

LO is 12 1/2 mo and although he has no dairy allergies or sensitivities, he has been refusing cow's milk. I guess he just doesn't like the taste. I EP and am planning to continue pumping, but unfortunately have had a hard time getting enough bm for him, so we've been supplementing with formula. Today at lunch I tried giving him goats milk and he LOVED it!!! I'm so excited, maybe we can get him off the formula supplements shortly and replace them with goats milk!

Now I'm unsure how to deal with goats milk. Does it have enough fat/calories/nutrition that he needs at this point in his life? Any thoughts or links? I was raised on cow's milk and goat's milk hadn't even occurred to me until I was at the grocery again. TIA!

Default Re: YEY! He likes Goat's milk!

Supposedly goat's milk is easier to digest because the proteins are smaller (made for baby goats which are much smaller than baby cows). Not sure about the content, I'd think it would be close. Besides if he'll drink it, it's better than none at all

I think goat's milk is great but I would only buy raw (not pasteurized) and make sure you have a quality, trustworthy source.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My neighbor gave her LO goat's milk at 15 months when he weaned, b/c she preferred it over cow's milk.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

It is supposedly similiar in fat to cows milk but it is deficient in I think Folic Acid?? You can google it. I researched it because of high allergy potentials and I just cant remember what it is deficient in.

I don't think it has the vitamin D that cow's milk does (the vitamin D is added to cow's milk). But of course, you can get that from other sources. We have a friend who weaned onto goat's milk and really was happy with that decision.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Here is a link that compares various milks:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...kcalories.html

I don't think goat's milk will be deficient in folic acid in comparison to cow's milk because cow's milk does not have folic acid either (at least the pasteurized one).

Thanks everyone for the input! I've looked around and it seems as though goats milk is fine, but I'll probably call our ped just to be sure before I start cutting out the formula supplements.

The brand I got was Meyenberg, it was at Wild Oats. Vitamin D is added just like cow's milk. It is pasteurized. I totally understand what you're saying healthymama about getting raw goat's milk, but because I don't live near anyplace where I can get it fresh and direct from a trustworthy source, I just don't trust the unpasteurized stuff on the shelf. LOs still getting Mamas milk and that's raw and better than goats milk any day!