Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think it's time to pump wean

Default I think it's time to pump wean

Okay so we went through an awful ordeal with ds being very sick for the month of Marcha nd part of April. I was with him 24/7 for 5 weeks straight and although it was horrible going through the stress and him being sick, it was also wonderful to have that time together. I have to admit, I stayed home an extra week just to have more time and considered another but had to go back and save that time, in case he has a relapse. So that whole time there was no reason to pump and I didn't miss it one bit. Coming back to work after being out for 5 weeks was stressful enough I am finding it even harder and mroe stressful to pump. Ds is going to be 16 months this week and I am thinking it's okay to say Bye Bye to the pump. If I were with him all day there would be no reason to have to supplement but I am not and can't change that. Is anyone else in this position, where they nurse when with their child but give a supplement when not with (which for us would amount to 4-6 ounces per day, one bottle at naptime). Yesterday i forgot to bring his bm and he did fine with the bottle of milk. He drinks organic cow's milk with added DHA once in awhile and we had added al ittle to his bottle to see how he would do with it, just in case I was ever in this position (or as yesterday occured, forgot his bm). He does okay with it, it's not like how he is with bm but he will take most of it. Any help would be appreciated! I am sad about this and feel like I am giving up and failing but I know I am not- he still nurses 4+ times a day. But the feelings are still there
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Default Re: I think it's time to pump wean

It's ok mama - I just recently finally quit pumping. I thought I would be sad or regret it but I wasn't - because it was the right time for me to stop. I pumped for longer than a year and it was very easy to give up that last session that I was hanging onto.
    I do not miss the bottles or the cleaning pump parts, or making sure I had clean stuff everyday!!
    My LO is still nursing well on nights and weekends!

I pump weaned when DS was one and everything was fine. He either takes water or cow's milk while we are apart and my supply hasn't suffered one bit. We still nurse when together (mornings, evening, and weekends) with no problems. You should do a search on "pump weaning" if you decide to quit. Lots of mamas here pumped weaned after LO's turned one and are still happily nursing. For me, I was totally over lugging that pump to work once he turned one. Especially since he didn't even drink 1/2 the milk I was pumping at that point. I had a new-found freedom after I pump weaned! It was a great feeling!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I have slowed down to one session and the reason I said I think it's time is that on that one session I am not getting even half of what I used to- I think my body is over the pump and my mind needs to catch up! I have no and never had supply issues with nursing but the pump and I have had issues since day one. I think it's time. I actually didn't bring my pump with me today but that's only because I am leaving early, but you are both right the freedom of not lugging it was nice. It's almost like that feeling when you get all your hair cut off and your neck feels longer and your head lighter...
    Last edited by GabesMommy; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: mispellings
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I posted a thread about this without realizing this one existed!

My little girl is 20 months old and I am SO ready to give up pumping, but I'm feeling guilty about it. I work four days a week so we nurse early evenings and then a few times a night (we cosleep). Right now I'm pumping twice a day at work and barely getting 5 ounces. I've been struggling with a steadily decreasing supply for awhile (yes I eat oatmeal, drink tea, and tried Fenugreek but had to give it up).

I'm also struggling with the replacement of one type of milk with another. I read everywhere about children that are "now drinking cow's milk" or rice milk, or soy, so that justifies being able to stop giving the child breastmilk. We don't really drink any kind of milk at home - I use rice milk for cereal and my older stepson likes milk, but I'm not sure I'm ready for my toddler to start.

Words of wisdom appreciated!

I really don't think that you HAVE to give another kind of milk (although she'd need to drink something more while you were gone) because the nutrients in milk can be gained in other ways.

I posted earlier, and I had a hard time deciding to stop. Once I did though, I don't regret it. I pumped till he was about 21 months, and I'm really proud of myself! You should be too!

I started mixing it in- but am pumping as I type so tht we can mix for a little longer...but I am ready to stop pumping!
    Kelly

For those of you that dropped to one session, or quit altogether - how has it affected your supply? Mine is already slowing down and I am worried that my LO is not going to get what she needs. She is so skinny - dropped off the charts from day one - and not the most healthy eater (hates veggies) so the only reason I haven't freaked out in the past is because of the continued breastfeeding. But if she stops getting that bottle of bm during the day and only nurses at night . . . well, I guess I'm just concerned that she isn't getting enough nutrition, especially if my supply dwindles further.

Ack!

I think there was a very slight drop in supply for me. Not enough to concern me, just now I can go A LONG time without nursing. My LO still nurses like he did before I stopped, he's still drinking milk so my milk isn't gone by any means.

He nurses both sides when I get home, maybe a quick nurse while playing, we nurse before bed and then maybe twice at night. Weekends are all day if we are home, or once in awhile if we are out.

I've found that if he wants to nurse now it's because he's really thirsty. If we offer him water (like if I'm eating, or can't nurse) he will gladly drink that and not ask to nurse after drinking it. Night time is a MUST nurse time for him, I think he would have no problem "day weaning" but I'd rather night wean!! I'm not planning on giving up night times for awhile, I'm ok with our arrangement.

Does your LO like smoothies?? You can hide veggies in there pretty easy, or even in normal cooking. Like in homemade muffins, meatloaf, burgers, that sort of stuff.

Yes I need to be better about hiding the veggies. SAHD isn't great with making special meals or meals that take a lot of work. I've tried to get him to make smoothies in the past but he "forgets" (harrumph). On weekends she honestly does not give me a chance to do anything that takes much time. She demands my full attention and I try to comply since we get so little time during the week.

She definitely is a must-nurse-down baby. She is good about water (we aren't doing juice yet, I'm holding off as long as I can!) but when she really wants the boob (usually for comfort more than anything else) there is no stopping her.

I need to dedicate a nap time to steaming, pureeing, and freezing some "veggie cubes" that I can drop into other meals.

On the plus side, she's been watching me take vitamins for awhile and has been fascinated, wanting me to have more and checking out the bottles. So last night I gave her a quarter of a chewable multi (they are about the size between a nickel and a quarter). She loved it, so I hope I can repeat it tonight!