Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow weight gain - should I be concerned?

Default Slow weight gain - should I be concerned?

My son was 7lbs 1oz (11/6/07) when when he was born. At around 3-ish months he was around 12.5. He's now a bit over five months and 13 lbs. He's outgrowing clothes, getting longer and having no problem with the milestones, but he's not gaining. He eats frequently - every 1-2 hrs usually. Should I be worried? I'm stressing about his weight gain and I'm tired of worrying. Please reassure me someone!

FWIW - We've had thrush practically since he was born. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, although he's got white spots on his tongue. I'm in pain every time I feed him, but it's pretty mild, so I've gotten used to it and don't think about it anymore. I just can't seem to get rid of this thrush.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.

Default Re: Slow weight gain - should I be concerned?

you can go to your doctor about the thrush and he may be able to help.

About the weight gain - as long as he is having lots of wet diapers (so you know he's not dehydrated) and some poopie diapers, I wouldn't be too worried about slow weight gain. Weight gain is weight gain. I would, however, make sure he is getting the nice hind milk. Because he nurses so frequently, is he draining your breasts? Are you letting him drain one breast before offering another?

Here's the weight gain chart for breastfeeding babies
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: Slow weight gain - should I be concerned?

He gets both breasts at every feeding (I wait until he pulls off before offering the other and if I know he hasn't nursed enough I'll put him back on). Sometimes he gets very impatient when the flow slows down and will refuse to nurse anymore on that side even though there may be some hindmilk left. So, there are times he probably doesn't get all the hindmilk. How do I encourage him to be a more efficient nurser?

He has plenty of wet diapers and poops anywhere from every 1-3 days
    (the poop is always yellow). He usually poops multiple times on his poop day.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.