Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Told to supplement...baby too small!

Default Re: Told to supplement...baby too small!

Sometimes using a pacifier can cause a baby to not nurse as much as he should, so especially while dealing with weight gain issues, it would be best to limit as much as possible and keep your baby at the breast more. If your nipple shield was fitted by a LC, that shouldn't be the cause of any issues. Do you offer the other side after nursing on the first just to make sure your lo is done? Pumping the other side would be a great way to provide your lo with mother's milk if you need to supplement for a while. Usually there would be no need to pump the other side, though.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

There is a tea called Mother's Milk and it has a herb in it that helps with lactation. I have a low milk supply that is threatening to go away, I have BF for 7 weeks now, but due to time restraints at work, I have to stop because I won't get enough time to pump. So I'm slowly stopping. I pump when I have to and I'm mixing BM with formula for now.
    The herb in Mother's Milk tea is fenugreek. If you don't want the tea (it tastes a bit like mild licorice, I find it closer to chi tea, and it has no caffeine) fenugreek does come in capsule form. I order it from www.drugstore.com

On a personal note, when I would BF my LO, he didn't seem "satisfied" after nursing. So, I gave him the BM in a bottle. I could keep accurate track of what he was eating.

I agree with everyone else, talk to a consultant first. Congrats on your determination to BF!

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

thank you everyone for your continued help. this is a very frusterating time for me so it helps to know there are people who offer support. I am contacting a LC today and we will see how it goes from there. I just fed my baby and it didnt seem like he was swallowing much. I am thinking the problem might be the feeding directly from the breast (with the shield) but i dont know. My husband is reluctant to supplement with pumped milk in case it doesnt work to put the pounds on right away so he wants us to continue the formula until friday like the doc said. Until then i am going to do everything i can to find another way to keep the boy on breastmilk only. (sigh*)

Sorry to here about your problems.
    I would try the tea recommended or Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle.
    I have tried the shields and they seemed to interfere with my baby getting the milk.
    I have had to pump exclusively and the herbs helped me increase from about 1oz per pumping to more like 6 good luck

ok, so i spoke with the LC and i am going to a sort of support group tomorrow to see another LC in person and get a pre-post weight reading. I am supplementing every other feeding with formula and the other with EBM. that makes me feel a little better about the whole thing. I rented a hospital grae pump and also picked up some fenugreek capsules to help with supply. Hopefully this will start to work soon. Lately, my baby has been extra fussy at the Left breast and doesnt seem to get much. I have also been starting to feel a kind of dull pain from time to time that shoots in and then leaves quickly in that left breast. Any ideas? I will ask about it tomorrow too but just thought i would bring it up.

Deep shooting pain could be a few things, if it's near the beginning of a session it could be your let down. Do hear your LO swallowing soon after the pain?

It could also be a sign of a soon to be or a plugged duct - are you sore, red or swollen anywhere on the left breast?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quick update! I went to a Mommy and Me group today with a LC and it was fantastic! I am feeling very encouraged that i can get my baby back to BF. The LC said i could supplement with EBM as long as i had enough so that was great to hear. Just in the last 3 days, my son has gained 10 oz. and the problem seems to be the transfer of milk from the breast, to his tummy. He is very frustrated at the breast and fusses alot. When we did a pre-post weigh, he had only taken 5 ml in 45 min!!!! yikes! i am meeting with the LC tomorrow and we are coming up with a plan. In the meantime, i am pumping like 8 times a day and taking fenugreek to up the ante. As far as the pain, i think i had my pump up to high and so i have been turning it down to a softer vacuum. Hopefully this starts to get better.

sounds like you've got good support going and a good plan.

It totally sounds like you have foremilk/hindmilk issues, even though you feed the entire feed on one breast. I had the same issues. I wound up having to feed 2 - 3 times per breast for LO to get the hindmilk and have consistent non-frothy, yellow, curdy stools! A LC told me I could also massage the breast to get the fatty milk to letdown sooner. Good luck, mama! Keep truckin, and definitely consult a LC!

Unhappy Re: Told to supplement...baby too small!

OK! This is wearing me out! I have run out of enough EBM and am giving formula supplements often. I gave mostly formula yesterday so i could get my EBM supply up and now i have been able to do every other but i am not making enough to keep it that way forever. I can only pump around an ounce or so, every now and then more but not enough to take the place of a EBM bottle ( he takes about 4 oz in a supplement after a feeding at the breast). My day is full of feeding, pumping, supplementing, and then cleaning the supplies and i hate it!
    I nixed the nipple shield as an experiment to see if he would take the breast without it, and amazingly enough, HE DID! It was fantastic. I even saw my other breast leaking a bit while i was feeding on the other and i heard him sucking and swallowing alot this morning. I was extatic! He fed on the bare breast the whole day so i am glad to have bypassed the shield, however, he is used to sucking on something small and now his latch gets tight and small...and HURTS! I skipped a pumping session because my nipple was hurting so bad. Is this normal since i have had the shield for so long? Am i experiencing the pain i would have had to get used to in the beginning sans the shield? Should the fact that he is directly on the breast help my supply to increase? Sorry, I am just getting so worn out by all the different ways i have to feed him each time. Formula is looking real good right now for the simple fact that it is easy but i DONT want to give in for convenience but i am not liking where i am at. Please help! I feel like i will never get to the point that he is eating only from the breast without having to pump after every feed and supplement after every feed! it is EXAUSTING!!!!!