Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Told to supplement...baby too small!

Unhappy Told to supplement...baby too small!

Such a frustrating day at the doc. My baby is 8 weeks old and was born at 6 lbs. 11 oz. Today at his 2 month, he weighed in at only 7lbs. 3.6 oz. Doc said my only option was to supplement with formula. I want to only breastfeed and give my baby the very best and now i am having a really hard time accepting a formula supplement and am feeling quite inadequate as a mother. He is nursing for an hour on average every 3 hours, making lots of wet diapers and plenty of poops but not gaining weight. Doc says it is possible my milk may have low coloric density but we arent sure why he isnt gaining. Please help. I really dont want to have to supplement formula, i want nothing less than the very best for my baby. Is there anything that can be done?

Default Re: Told to supplement...baby too small!

I would definitely see an IBCLC before supplementing (esp. for the reasons you dr gave). She can rule out any potential sucking/milk transfer issues, help evaluate your supply, and talk about different bfing management strategies that may help. Also, you mention the weight when he was born. What was his lowest weight? This can make a big difference when evaluating weight gain. Also, if supplementing truly is needed, pumped mother's milk is always the first choice if possible, so that's another option. Hang in there as you work to find answers (or a different dr.)
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Hi mama, your really worried about your baby and are feeling very worried about supplementing. The PP asked some things that I'd like to ask too, could you give us your babies lowest weight?
    About how many wet and dirty diapers?
    Does baby seem happy/content most of the time?

I also agree with talking to an IBCLC (Lactation Consultant) or a local leader to see what would be a good course of action for you.

Mother's milk is the first choice to supplement with - It's pretty rare for a mother's milk to lack the calories that a baby needs. Even mother's who have poor nutrition can breastfeed. Perhaps there is something that needs addressed, and we can help you figure out what that is.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

His Lowest weight was 6 4 oz. Everything checks out except the weight gain. I am convinced there is another option you know? I am doing the formula thing today cuz that is what he said to do and my husband thinks we should but i want to contact a consultant asap. Should i pump as much as possible while supplementing? I DO NOT want to diminish supply or stop BF. I am so distraut over this (crying all day) and my husband doesnt understand what i am going through.

How much formula are you giving? Are you nursing first? Yes, pumping is a good idea after nursing and you could check with your dr about giving what you have pumped as the first supplement.

he makes at least 6 wet diapers a day and usually 1-3 poopies. They are usually very soupy and kinda frothy (sorry but its true)
    The doc we saw today is a man and it was the first time we saw him. I kept asking if there were any other options and he made me feel like i had no choice but to supplement with formula because my baby was about 3lbs underweight.
    When i pump i can usually only get about 1.5-2.5 oz out of both breasts combined and when i have fed a bottle of BM to my son he usually takes 4-5 oz.

i have only given formula once (warming some as we type). When he took it directly after nursing for 1 hour, he spit it all back up. I called the doc and he said to nurse the next feed, and then wait an hour to give the formula again.

Lots and Lots of hugs mama!

Yes for sure pump while you are supplementing - that will keep your supply up!
    You might also think about supplementing at the breast or with something other than a bottle.
    This is a non LLL resource for Alternative Feeding Methods
    A LC can get you a supplemental nursing system, or help you with ways to supplement. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor or your LC about supplementing with your pumped milk.

Here's more info on weight gain concerns

Defiantly give an LC a call tomorrow! Hang in there mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Frothy and green can sometimes indicate too much foremilk/not enough hindmilk. (Not that your aren't making enough hindmilk, just that your lo might not be getting enough for some reason.) Definitely something to talk to the LC about.

i use a nipple shield because my nipples are a bit flat...have been since meeting a LC in the hospital. Could this have anything to do with the challenge at hand? My baby also uses a pacifier. We are trying to only give it to him occasionally as i dont want him to depend on it for anything, but because he has always spent so much time at the breast, we discovered some of his time was spent pacifying, so i gave him something else
    When i do nurse my baby, it is from one side to make sure he is getting both fore, and hind milk. Should i pump the other side after every session? How often should i pump if i want to insure my supply is kept up?