Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rejection of bf at 7 months

Default rejection of bf at 7 months

Does anyone have any ideas? My 7 month son, who has been very picky at breastfeeding since he was 4 months, is starting to reject the breast at different bf sessions. Until now, I've had to bf in a darkened room with no noise, which has been difficult due to my oldest son, who is 2, wanting to be everywhere I am. I've recently been able to nurse him with distractions in the room, but the past couple of days when I have attempted to breastfeed, he immediately arches back and cries and refuses to take the breast at all. In the past I would wait a little longer to feed (if possible) or let him go until the next nursing (he is eating solids as well). Today, I wanted to test if he was really hungry, when he arched and cried at the breast I went and made a bottle of ebm and he sucked it right down. Is it a faze, age, or could he be wanting to wean (which I really hope is not the case)? I would really like to continue bf until 1 year of age.

Theresa, mom to Robbie (2 yrs.) and Clayton (7 months)

Default Re: rejection of bf at 7 months

I so wish I had some kind of useful advice for you..but unfortunately I am a veteran of 2 nursing strikes that occurred at that same age. I was not able to get either of my boys to start nursing again. At the time I had never heard of a nursing strike and had no idea how to deal with it.

I just want to send you some support and words of encouragement.

I know that there are many women here who have been through nursing strikes and can help you.

I REALLY hope that you can get him back to the breast soon.

Are you sure there is no medical reason that he is not wanting to nurse?

how much does the baby nurse at night?
    Sometimes they will nurse alot at night to make up for the missed feeds during the day?
    As long as their diapar count is good and their pee is clear then you know they are getting the milk they need.
    Some bigger babies are very good at nursing and it doens't take them long to be finished.
    Do you have a 2 year old safe place to nurse the baby? I used the bedroom and I would let my 2 year old watch tv. He learned very quick to be quiet and then he would get to watch tv. lol...
    check the babies mouth for patches of thursh, that can make nursing painfull!
    good luck

Thanks for the suggestions! Nursing on the bed sounds great! My 2 year old loves to climb into bed with us in the morning and watch his morning PBS cartoons, so I should be able to nurse at the same time.
    After two days of a nursing strike, I got my first menstrual cycle. Could this have anything to do with my 7 month old's nursing? This didn't happen with my first son while I nursed, so this part is a new experience. Is there any correlation between menstrual cycles and nursing?

Thanks for all the advice and support,
    Theresa, mom to Robbie (2 years) and Clay (7 months)

Quote Originally Posted by tlslaughter
    After two days of a nursing strike, I got my first menstrual cycle. Could this have anything to do with my 7 month old's nursing? This didn't happen with my first son while I nursed, so this part is a new experience. Is there any correlation between menstrual cycles and nursing?
    Most definitely!

I believe that when your period returns your milk supply may go down temporarily and the taste of the milk can even change. I've heard about nursing strikes related to menstruation resuming.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks for all the support and great ideas! I'll remember this when Clay seems to be out-of-sorts and keep going strong on breastfeeding when I feel out-of-sorts!

We just survived our first nursing strike--dd is 7 months. It was awful, but I just persisted, and did what it seems you are already doing. Fortunately for us it only lasted a week, but it sure felt like a long week! Good luck to you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes