Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: asking advice for sister-in-law

Default asking advice for sister-in-law

My sister-in-law is bringing home her son from the hospital tomorrow at 35 weeks. He had a bumpy start but is healthy. She has been pumping and giving him breast milk that way. She wants to get him latched on the breast. Any tips? She puts him on the breast and he seems to latch on but sucks a little and stops. She give him milk in the bottle so she can make sure that he eats. What can she do to get him to suck and get the nourishment he needs to gain weight. Thanks sisters!
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: asking advice for sister-in-law

Congrats on the new nephew. Bringing baby home from the hospital is both joyful and stressful! I found that just keeping baby at the breast for much of the day helped her get the idea that food comes from there. Also since baby is used to the instant gratification of the botttle he may get upset waiting for milk to let down. I would sometimes have to pump 1st to get the milk going and then put dd to breast. My 35 weeker dd came home from the hospital after being almost exclusively bottle fed there and went right to the breast and has not looked back in 10 mths! It can be done. Good for you for supporting your sil

Congrats to her! This link is a great (non LLL) resource for getting baby back to the breast. It's important to take it slow, to not force baby to be at the breast, and to make the breast a nice place to be for baby.

Is there an IBCLC (Lactation Consultant) or LLL Leader in her area she could talk to? They can also help set her up with a alternate feeding method (such as a supplemental nursing system) so that she doesn't have to pump as much and baby is getting "instant reward" at the breast.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

thanks I told her to make an appt. with a LC
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian