Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple chomping...

Unhappy nipple chomping...

i have a 12 week old and recently he seems like he could be teething, excessive drooling, chewing on anything near his mouth, and CHOMPING ON MY NIPPLES while bfing. sometimes He seems like he is hungry but when i try to feed him he just chomps down on my nipples, pulls off frequently and then starts to cry until i give him his paci. i dont know what to do to keep him from chomping on me, my poor nipples are so sore, and i am getting so frustrated! he eats very well at night when he is tired, just not when he is awake usually... Is there any way to keep him from doing this? please help before i give up!!

Default Re: nipple chomping...

My son isn't a chomper but I've heard that when they do this it's good to give them teething tablets or a teething toy that they like before nursing. Don't use numbing gels or anything though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

my son started doing this also at 11 weeks...excessive drooling....always sucking on his hands....or if u put a hand close to his face he grabs it and attacks it and starts sucking , he has also taken to sucking on dh nose whenever he goes ti kiss him!!! and when he bfing, he clamps down..and has started to shake his head and growl!!!

he will not have a dummy, we have tried he hates it so much...so when he clearly needs to suck, he sucks on my little finger for ages.......

my sister said to get some anbesol for his gums....
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

I'm sorry. I don't have any words advice, but wanted to let you know you're not alone! DD2 is 5 months and started chomping a few days ago. She'll attack me like she's never eaten before, clamp down and pull her head back, all the while staying attached to my nipple! She repeats the process several times during each nursing session.

I think we might try the teething tablets. In the meantime, I've been using some Lanolin on my nipples and it seems to help soothe them somewhat.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

My son got his first 2 teeth at 4 mo. as well and did the same thing. At the time I was just sure there was no way he could comprehend that he was hurting me, but I read to still say sternly, "No, no, hurt mommy." and take the boob away for a while. After a while he stopped doing it, but I never knew if he actually understood or if he just stopped needing to bite something. He got his next two teeth at 6 mo. and that was a much easier time. I never scared him or anything, but I've heard you have to be sensitive not to scare them into a nursing strike. All he did was pull off and look and laugh at me.

Good luck! He drew blood a few times and I got VERY frustrated, but it was only a phase, and this too shall pass!!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Thanks for the advice ladies!! I just can't get it through my head that he's already old enough to be teething...it doesn't seem like long enough!

Quote Originally Posted by kalyward View Post
    Thanks for the advice ladies!! I just can't get it through my head that he's already old enough to be teething...it doesn't seem like long enough!
    It's amazing how soon it can happen. Although, keep in mind it can take a couple months for the teeth to break through. I think DD1 started the teething process around 4 months, but her first teeth didn't show until she was 7 months. Two came through on the same day.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I try to keep a hand on the back of his head so he can't pull away so hard. Also when he chomps I pull him in tight against me and say ah, ah, ah. He laughs, but at least he detaches. If he chomps again we stop nursing for a while then try again later.