Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: whole milk

Default whole milk

my pedi told me at my dd 15mo visit that she should be drinking 24-26oz of milk a day, that sounds like a ton to me, is she correct??? dd usually drinks between 15-20oz, i cant imagine making her drink more, i usually offer it to he at meals,a dn she sometime dont even drink the 15-20, am i to let her walk arround all day with milk?? what about tooth rot??? thanks
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Default Re: whole milk

My DS is 15 months and I am not sure how much milk he is truly getting. I try to give a 4-5oz cup at breakfast, the same at lunch, and 6-8 oz at bedtime. I feel like he needs more I try to give some during a snack time or before a nap. I know my DS never drinks all that he is given. He seems to be growing fine. We also do full fat yogurt or some cheese during the day for our dairy.As long as your LO is gaining weight and growing I would think she is getting enough.

WIC just told me my 21 month old should be drinking 20oz a day. I told them DD drinks no where near that much a day, but she's still nursing and they said that's fine as long as she's still nursing.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

That is a ridiculous amount of milk. If she drinks that much milk she may end up anemic. 16oz per day is the usual recommendation. Here is what kellymom says about milk:
    "It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods."

And you are right about tooth decay, she should not be going around sipping milk all day.

I was told the same thing about how much milk to drink. My lo was drinking about what was recommended (DD1). While I don't agree with letting your child walk around sipping milk all day, it shouldn't cause tooth decay for them to have that much milk in one day. Toddlers have a ton of saliva and as long as they don't fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth, the saliva is used to keep the teeth clean and rinsed. That along with regular brushing shouldn't allow for tooth decay if they are drinking milk at certain times of the day. I used to offer dd1 milk when she first woke up, with breakfast, lunch and dinner, at the beginning of our bedtime routine (before bath) and sometimes at snack. It just depended on her food intake for the day. Then I would usually offer water or juice at other times. While you don't want them to get full on milk alone and not eat their dinner, milk is very good for them, and they get a lot of nourishment from it. I wouldn't worry too much. What you say your little one is getting isn't that far from the recommended amount, so I don't think it's really enough to worry about.

woah.. my baby only gets about 12 oz iof dairy including yogurt per day. I hope she is ok. she barely will drink water, and hates milk, we just mix it into her food.

My kid drinks maybe 6 oz. of cow's milk a day since she weaned at 16.5 months. She does eat yogurt and cheese, but her drink of preference is water.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Joshua is 17 months old, and he still drinks just mamas milk, (which has one gram of fat more per serving than whole cows milk) and water. Sometimes he has a couple sips of cows milk with dinner, and we give him whole milk yogurt and cheese.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK