Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: heating baby food?

Question heating baby food?

I just read that you're supposed to heat baby food to be "steaming hot" to kill bacteria then let it cool. Is this only for frozen homemade food or does that include gerber food, etc? I'm a first time mom and just started solids, but haven't been heating anything that hot , just heating it to edible temp- but mostly have given my lo either part of our food (sweet potato, etc) which would have been cooked plenty hot or gerber stage 1 food, which I served room temp. I am looking at starting to make my own baby food as well, so would like to know how I need to heat both store bought or homemade food so lo doesn't get sick.

Default Re: heating baby food?

i give my lo gerber baby food and i do not heat it at all i serve it room temp. there is no need to heat it esp not that hot

I have never heard that. I don't do baby food.. but I heat all my lo's food in the microwave till its slighty warm- never hot. Usually takes about 20 sec or so.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks, that makes me feel better, when I read that I thought it sounded a bit extreme, but didn't want to risk lo getting sick either.

I do make my own baby food and it's, of course, that hot when I originally cook it (since most things are baked, other than avocado, banana, etc, which isn't cooked at all). Then I freeze my cubes, and when I pull them out, I never heat them before I give them to my LO. Am I supposed to? Are the cubes safe as is? (sometimes they're not even fully defrosted! sorry, baby! sweet potato slushie! )