Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tasting "non-baby" foods (like cake)

Default tasting "non-baby" foods (like cake)

At what point do you let baby "taste" foods that would not really be ideal for them to eat- like cake, icing, ...(ok I guess I'm mainly referring to junk/snack/dessert type foods)? My lo is 6.5mos old & only eats solids maybe once a day- fruits & veggies only. However, more than once people have said to me- oh, have you let her taste that? or just put a little on your finger and let her try it... Most recently, I was eating a piece of cake & my mil said I should put some on my finger & let dd taste it, then she acted like I was being mean by not letting dd taste. I think it's way too early for her to be tasting things like that & it irritates me more when people give me a hard time about it, but am I just being too uptight about the whole thing and making it more of an issue than it should be?

Default Re: tasting "non-baby" foods (like cake)

Don't let anyone push you into doing it if you aren't comfortable with it. My family did the same thing to me- sometimes I gave in and sometimes I stood my ground. I think it's up to you as the mama so decide when and if you should give her 'tastes.' If you need one, there is always the risk of allergies to give people as a reason not to let your lo taste, especially things like cake or ice cream, which have dairy and eggs and things like that.

It's not being mean, it's being careful. If they've never had it, they don't know you are denying them anything good, but I guarantee you once they taste it once, they'll want it every time they see it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My MIL acted like that too, even gave DD pop and wine on her finger when she was only a few months old. I was none too happy, and at least now she asks first.

I agree about foods that could contain allergens that you haven't introduced yet, it's better to wait until they're ready. Even now, my LO just turned 1, she doesn't get "junk" food. She had cake for her birthday, but it was low-sugar carrot cake that I made, so I knew exactly what went in it. I think it's more a lifestyle thing, and the more junk you introduce sooner, the more they'll be accustomed to it and want it when they're older. I don't think you're being uptight at all.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

yep... my mother had my 7 month old sitting in the hi-chair and had "given" (...placed in front of) cheerios to her. Heck, she dosent eat puree's well yet!! The only thing we can get in her is banana's ... and any variation of ...banana's with______. If we even try to sneak a bite in of something different, while feeding her nana's she KNOWS... says "I aint no fool mama!"

On the other hand, my husband loves to eat apples, and they are usually cold. DD loves to "gnaw" on the apples with hubs!

I agree w/ pp's, you make the "rules" your the mama~! Seriously, especially if they havent had something before, you dont know if they have allergies to it or not....

I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    At what point do you let baby "taste" foods that would not really be ideal for them to eat- like cake, icing, ...(ok I guess I'm mainly referring to junk/snack/dessert type foods)? My lo is 6.5mos old & only eats solids maybe once a day- fruits & veggies only. However, more than once people have said to me- oh, have you let her taste that? or just put a little on your finger and let her try it... Most recently, I was eating a piece of cake & my mil said I should put some on my finger & let dd taste it, then she acted like I was being mean by not letting dd taste. I think it's way too early for her to be tasting things like that & it irritates me more when people give me a hard time about it, but am I just being too uptight about the whole thing and making it more of an issue than it should be?
    Well, I think we're all different as mommas on this issue. For dh and I, we didn't allow processed sugar and junk past their lips as long as we could control it. No cake, no candy, no frosting, no soda...if it wasn't nutritional, it didn't go in their mouths. We did start easing up closer to age 1 and allow a bite or 2 of cake without frosting and especially at their 1st birthday party and we did let them have a little cake. Not much really got eaten, and it made for pretty great pics.

Our ped. wasn't all that on board though during DS#2's 18 mos appointment when she asked what he was eating and I told her that we didn't let them have candy and soda and junk. She's a doctor, and she honestly told me to let them have that junk so they didn't go crazy on it later on. She also advocated diet soda... Uggghhhhh didn't you read anything on nutrition in med. school? lol.....

Anyway though, some mamas are ultra strict here, some aren't so strict, but what matters, is that you and your dh talk about it and get on the same page regarding that stuff and do whatever it is you feel is best for your lo.

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    Most recently, I was eating a piece of cake & my mil said I should put some on my finger & let dd taste it, then she acted like I was being mean by not letting dd taste.
    Same thing happens here to me ALL the time. My BIL let her taste strawberry yogurt (big no-no) and then gave her spicy salsa at the Mexican restaurant. UGH! My mother let her taste mashed potatoes and whipped cream.

It seems everyone is trying to stuff something into her mouth.

Granted we don't have allergies in our family, but I know what foods are a no-no until she's older.

So I usually get all huffy about it, but they still do it...

Frustrates me to no end, but what can we do? We can't watch our LO every second of the day!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Introduce these, and for that matter any, kinds of food when you are comfortable with it. I agree with PP's re: other people and their opinions on the subject. Don't let anyone guilt you into allowing your baby to have something you or your LO aren't ready for.

DD1 was about 5 months when an ex co-worker of mine put ice cream in her mouth. This was her first taste of anything "solid." The good news is, at 2 years old it's very rare for her to prefer "junk" food over veggies and fruit. I don't mind if she has some on occassion, but everytime we're around family (especially the in-laws) they are always trying to offer her cookies and other snacks. I usually just tell them she won't eat it anyway so don't waste it.

Remember, this is YOUR baby. Not theirs.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Remember that the idea that a child is "Missing out" is a projection. You can't and Don't miss what you've never had. And the sooner you allow your child to eat crap the sooner they know what crap is and want it. I have a child who is almost 27months old and he still doesn't drink juice. Because he doesn't need it. And ALL of his grandparents want to act like I am being mean. But you don't have to feel sorry for my kid who is completely happy with breastmilk and water.
    He isn't all upset that he doesn't get that or that I didn't take him trick or treating. They know what you teach them. I am teaching my son that we eat high quality food all the time. Does he get "treats"? Sure. When they are having banana pudding at day care he gets strawberry yogurt. He has had berry muffins and tasted ice cream and we freeze yogurt tubes and cut them in half and he gets those "popsicles" after dinner. But will I ever feed or encourage my kid to eat chips and soda? No. Will I ever allow it? I'm not sure. But I AM sure that how his grandparents or anyone else around me feels about it will play Zero role in it. Now or ever. If you want kids to eat well, You model good eating habits and keep good food in the house. He eats what we eat. Just smaller portions. You are your childs advocate. Don't feel pressure of ever cave in regards to that. People only respect you and your rules in regards to your children when they see that you are consistent and can't be swayed or bullied.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    People only respect you and your rules in regards to your children when they see that you are consistent and can't be swayed or bullied.
    Thank you for saying that. It's something I am trying VERY hard to learn.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Whenever YOU want too... dd will be 11 months next week. She is going to have cake on her birthday for sure!! Its just a good tradition! But as far as treats go... she eats what we eat. We eat very healthy but we do like to have our homemade treats. ... Dh and I eat chips maybe once a month or so.. so I will let her have 1 or 2. She had her first taste of cookie last week. A homemade oatmeal one... we dont eat ice cream except if we go out and never soda.. so I doubt she will have these things. But she will get tastes of homemade cookies or cake after a meal... after age 1. My neice and nephew hardly ever get treats and they go crazy when they do.. everything in moderation I guess... as long as you don't go crazy I think small tastes of sweets after age one is okay. If you kid eats ice cream for dinner I don't think thats ok...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!