Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another poop question

Default another poop question

I tried some rice cereal a few times last week and she loved it. But over the weekend her BM went from like a yogurt consistency to a peanut butter consistency. She was grunting all day. I am assuming thats because of the cereal and she might have been alittle constipated.
    so my questions is... does this mean its to early for her to start solids or is it because of what I fed her? (cereal and my milk)
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Default Re: another poop question

My vote is both. I would discontinue solids for now and restart with something a little more tummy-friendly. www.kellymom.com has good info on why cereal is not actually the best first food. (Maybe you've heard that already, and I don't mean to sound so bossy! JMO... )

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimyh View Post
    I tried some rice cereal a few times last week and she loved it. But over the weekend her BM went from like a yogurt consistency to a peanut butter consistency. She was grunting all day. I am assuming thats because of the cereal and she might have been alittle constipated.
    so my questions is... does this mean its to early for her to start solids or is it because of what I fed her? (cereal and my milk)
    I believe peanut-butter is a normal consistency for a baby new to solids. I don't think it necessarily means you are starting early... You may want to introduce a "P" fruit next (peaches, prunes, pears...) they tend to be higher fiber and will help with the constipation. GL!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

When my son became more interested in solids his poop changed from liquid to thicker (PB consistency). He did the grunting, red face too. I think it has to do with them learning the new feeling of pooping something thats not liquid.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I read the kelly mom site and I don't really understand what they mean by starting- Ripe banana, avocado, yam, or sweet potato (sweet like breastmilk) Meats - for first foods does that mean jar foods? I don't know how to make my own baby foods and I am not sure I am up for a task like that.... I don't even know what a food processor is...

Thank you ladies about the grunting too! I have a three yr old with pooping issues, and I am supper scared of making the wrong decisions for this baby. I don't know how many kids I can possibly screw up

So for now we have gone back to EBFing I have been reading about baby led solids. I read things and they make sense, until I talk to the other mothers around me. They have never heard of this and to be honest I haven't either, so its hard to defend myself. I dont know, I just want to do 'right', but everyones 'right' is defferent.

I cant thank you enough for your imput I like how empowering you guys are!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

You go girl! Just do whatever you think is best. You don't have to defend yourself to anyone!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.