Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yanking my nipple

Default Yanking my nipple

Help! My 1 yr old, when nursing will YANK her head backwards while she is nursing. I have to forcefully, hold her head close to me...It gets tiring! Stretching my nipple out! Why is she doing this? She isn't pawing at my breast with her hands/fingers, etc...

The only time she doesn't pull is when we are laying side/by side...

It's like she is trying to force the milk to come out faster...

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Yanking my nipple

My DS will sometimes do this. Sometimes it seems that he is bothered by my shirt touching his face (or just being too close to his face) or my sleeve bunched under his ear, or he's just uncomfortable in the position for whatever reason. Trying to pull him in closer while he's nursing just seems to make him try to pull away harder. I've found it more helpful to take him off the breast, then reposition so that he will be closer in and let him latch back on. You might try making sure he's feeling supported across/under his back and not with legs dangling. Many babies like the side lying position because they feel more secure/supported with the firm bed underneath them. As they get older they sometimes get longer than our laps and they can kind of feel like they're hanging in space. Also, pressure behind the head trying to pull him in closer to your breast could make him feel like he will be smothered, and so he'll want to pull away. Make sure your pulling him in from his back rather than his head. Hope this helps!

Unhappy Re: Yanking my nipple

Except for laying down... It doesn't seem to matter what position I change, she wants to PULL.

I expressed myself the other day, and it seemed I did have to use more strength that I thought. It was tougher than normal?

What is frustrating, is I'll nurse her, and she gets mad, and wants more. But there is isn't any left!! She will change sides, flip back and forth, and get really frustrated... She then will pull more, and get angry. It's like she wants milk, but can't get enough.

sigh...

Hi wendieann,
    This does sound frustrating! The yanking is tiresome for you (ouch!) and you sound worried about your supply. Can you describe to me a bit more about your typical nursing patterns through the day/night? Have there been any other recent changes?

Mary

Well, lately we have been much better... She doesn't Yank anymore? My doc. says she is suffering from separation anxiety from being away from me on weekends. (she is with my x) For the first couple of days, she constantly wants to nurse. The Doc said, she is worried she can't have any. He prescribed me Domperidone to help increase my milk. I've feel after a couple days I notice a huge difference. It doesn't take my daughter long for my letdown to happen... Plus, I feel fuller. She is much happier, and nurses much nicer. I take it 3x a day, and it is 10mg.

As for her yanking, maybe it was lack of milk, or teething? Who knows.

My mother thinks I should quit, and I said, I won't! Obviously, she still needs me, esp. after weekends away....

Thank you Mary!

I'm glad to hear it's going better for the both of you lately. Nursing does sound like a very important way for you to both re-connect after weekends apart. What a wonderfully supportive doctor you have!

Mary