Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help

Default Please help

I am not really sure if this is where i should leave my questions for an LLL, but i might as well try and see if one responds. My name is Mariann and I am new to these boards.
    I have a 5 week old daughter who I am breastfeeding. Everything is going very well. The only thing is when i pump milk, i realized i can not usually express more then mostly 2 ounces.
    My question is, if i express say 2 ounces at 1 P.M, then express another 2 ounces say and hour or two later, would it be ok to combine the two together to make a 4ounce bottle?

My second question is, I had a fever of 100.4 and did not realize it and still breastfed my daughter, can you breastfeed if you have a fever? If so, how high before you shouldn't? And if not, what should you do?

If someone from LLL would answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

llli_vbulletin Guest

Default Re: Please help

Welcome to the boards!

1. Yes, you can. If you plan to store the milk rather than feed it within a few hours, you'll need to refrigerate the first portion. You may also find that it is a works well to cool the other portion before adding it to the first (especially if you're storing long term), though research has shown that it is not neccessary.

That being said, many mothers find that it's helpful to have milk stored in small amounts (2-3 oz), as it is less likely to be wasted.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

2. You can breastfeed with a fever. You can breastfeed through any "ordinary" illness. Be sure to drink enough fluids!
    http://lalecheleague.org/FAQ/sick.html

I'm moving this post to newborn challenges for more replies!

welcome to the board. IF you have any more ?'s ask away!

Thank you both for your help but another question related to the first about combinding the expressed milk, does it matter how many hours between the expressed milk for it to be safe to combine? if that makes sense.
    I mean how many hours in between is ok and when should i not even consider it--or it doesn't matter?

sorry i hope that makes sense to you
    Mariann

Hi:

I try to combine the same day's milk together if I can. I've definately put today's milk with yesterday's at some point in time though. I've never done longer than two days b/4 using or freezing. Try looking on the milk storage forum on these boards - there's a lot of info there

thanks so much i will do just that.