Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need to wean if I want another baby...

Default I need to wean if I want another baby...

The issue is we are not able to get pregnant without fertility drugs.

I have been on the drugs for six months and was unable to conceive.

My little one who is still nursing 3x or more a day just turned 2 a week ago. So after seeing my fertility doctor we have been told the breastfeeding is counterproductive to the drugs and essentially my baby has been getting the medication through the breastmilk.

I need to wean. He nurses before nap, before bed, and throughout the night for comfort. Which one to cut first? How to cut? He still needs a lunchtime nap so how can I encourage him to sleep without nursing?

I have to wean gradually, I know, so can I completely stop in six months, you think?

need advice please..

Default Re: I need to wean if I want another baby...

I don't have any advice to offer, just . I too was in your situation about a month ago. We too needed fertility shots in order to concieve DS. We went back to the fertility doc for a consultation. He told me to wean, b/c the prolactin from breastfeeding can effect the ability to get pregnant. Also, the drugs can get into the milk. It felt horrible to know that I had to wean in order to have another child. It kinda felt like I had to choose one child over the other! Much to our suprise, I found out a week after the consultation appt that I was already pregnant.

Goodluck! I know there is a lot of information on Kellymom. Also be sure to read the stickies at the top!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

I don't have any advice either, but I'm in the same situation. We are unable to concieve without IVF and if we want another, which we do, I have to stop breastfeeding NOW.
    We have to get a couple of my cycles going before we can start and I have to start before I go back to work at the end of July. I knew this about 2 weeks ago, but I'm finding it so hard to stop. I love doing it so much.
    I talked to the doctor today and set up my appointments and they start in a week, so tonight will be my last night of breastfeeding. I should have started weaning before, instead of all at once. I'm not so smart.
    Anyway... to you too. Good luck

I agree with PPs to look at kellymom to get some tips. I would probably try to cut the daytime feedings first and cut out the most comforting nursing session last. GL with both weaning and getting pregnant!! You've given your child a wonderful gift to have breastfed for two years

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

My lo doesn't nurse a lot, only naptime and bedtime. I'm cutting the naptime feeding and consequently the lo doesn't want to nap.

After half an hour of lying down with him I kick him out of bed to his playroom coz obviously he wasn't going to sleep. This has been going on for 4 days now.

I would hate to think that because he's not nursing he's giving up his nap too. He is absolutely shattered before supper.

I also hate thinking that I'm forcing him to wean for his non-existent sibling. Feels like picking one over the other already.

Can't be an easy decision. I know I need to night wean to help my fertility along a bit and that's not even been easy. DD's 22 months old, and she's an all-night marathon nurser. . . Good luck!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Thanks so much for that Kellymom link. I've decided to wean over a couple weeks instead, I'll just use vacation time for my ivf treatments.

Sorry to hijack!

Agnes, maybe your little guy will get back into napping once a before nap routine is established.

You seem very sad about taking away "his" breast, but you're doing it to give him a brother/sister! It's a very hard thing to do, but when he's a big brother helping taking care of his new baby, it'll be worth it I think!
    Last edited by oliviasxmom; April 25th, 2008 at 06:55 AM.