Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DH had to give her formula :(

Unhappy DH had to give her formula :(

DD is 4 months old. I feel so bad, yesterday morning DH had to give Tessa her first bottle of formula while I was at the gym. My supply has been tanking lately, maybe due to stress, stopping fenugreek, or possibly AF, and Tessa is on a huge growth spurt (4 month spurt). Usually, I'm able to pump & DH gives Tessa a bottle of EBM while I'm at the gym & shopping (my me time), but lately, I have nothing to pump. I started up the fenugreek again to help my supply and am also suspecting PPAF may be trying to show as I've had off/on spotting the past 4 days. I don't know if this is officially AF yet as I don't have red flow or what's going on. At any rate, my hormones must be wacky though to be having spotting going on. My freezer stash is shot. There is nothing left in there. Fortunately, she did take the formula. Hopefully, my supply will rebound in a few days. I did take some time off from the gym the past 2 weeks because of a sore neck, but that has caused my stress to go through the roof, so I've decided I need to start up the gym again. (I don't think my supply is tanking because of the exercise as I've been going to the gym since about 3 weeks PP. I'm not losing weight and am careful to eat extra since I don't really have weight to lose.) I wish I wouldn't be so hard on myself at having to give her formula. It makes me feel like a failure as a mom I'm going to try to nurse as often as possible and drink more water (I'm bad about that). Hopefully, my supply will rebound in a few days.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Default Re: DH had to give her formula :(

please keep your chin up

other ladies can probably help you more,but don't feel a failure,you've already breastfed your baby and you want to do your best.

Hi, Just wanted to say dont feel bad. I had to give my lo formula sometimes. Its now been over one year of nursing and my lo is doing great! She is happy and growing and that is all that matters. Just keep nursing and try not to stress. Our bodies have amazing ways of adjusting to things! Hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Don't feel bad, she's still getting the benefits of your milk the rest of the time. Drink lots of water and try oatmeal- seems to help supply (not sure why), and either way be proud for being a good mom & wanting all the best for your lo.

just keep up with the pumping/nursing...I just went through the same thing with AF, you feel its never going to ever get back "up there"but it does! This last one took two weeks (I actually posted my concerns) but it usually only lasts the ONE week of AF...I just pumped more often every 2-3 hrs instead of 3-5 hrs took more fenugreek 4 pills 3 x a day and LOTS AND LOTS of water!!!! If you are determined, you can do it!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

we had to give my LO formula in the beginning because I was having latching problems, etc. Sometimes I look back and feel bad, but then I have to remember that if it wasn't for the formula, my LO might not have gotten fed. i'd rather him get fed then scream because he's hungry.

you're doing good mama!

You're doing a wonderful job and it sounds like you're dedicated to making sure your supply gets back up!

We had to start sending formula to the sitters when DD1 was about 4.5 months old. My supply took a huge hit, for many reasons, when I returned to work. In any case you're definately NOT a failure. I actually notice a dip in my supply every Monday. With a 5 month old and a 2 year old, it's hard to remember to keep myself hydrated over the weekend. Hydration plays a LARGE part in keeping my milk up. By Weds, I'm back to pumping plenty.

With a little bit of effort, you'll be right back to where you were!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!