Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin Flaking off Aerolas!

Unhappy Skin Flaking off Aerolas!

Please help-- My sweet daughter is 4 months old and so far I've not had any problems bfing. Suddenly at the end of December my aerolas got very itchy and my skin started flaking off! I naturally have dry skin - but nothing like this ever! I've been slathering Lansinoh on regularly, which seems to help, but has not resolved the issue.

I'm not using soap on them in the shower (nor have I in the past). My skin is so flaky sometimes that it is making me really itchy. I have noticed that my aerolas seem to be a brighter pink/red color sometimes and can get quite tender from chafing all of my skin off. My daughter seems not to notice anything different and is still happy to eat away -- she doesn't have any symptoms of thrush, etc.

Are all of my skin's natural oils gone??

Has anyone else had this problem? We don't live in a particularly dry area, but it is the winter -- I don't know if the weather has anything to do with it. Anyone know how I can get things back to normal!?

Default Re: Skin Flaking off Aerolas!

My right breast was very itchy, which the doctor diagnosticed as thrust. The baby showed no symptoms.

Thanks- I am going to have my Doc. check it out tomorrow. Does anyone know if thrush makes your skin flake off?

Yes, one of the symptoms of thrush is:

"Itchy or burning nipples, which may look normal or may appear pink or red, shiny, flaky, and/or have a rash with tiny blisters"

I would suggest calling your physician and discussing your symptoms further. There are many other forms of skin irritations (eczema, psoriasis) which can cause this as well.

Has anything else changed for you lately? Detergents, deoderants, baby using teethers? Do you have this on any other part of your body? These are things to consider when speaking with your HCP. Good luck!

If you are diagnosed with thrush I highl reccomend acidopholis. There is a great company called Udo's Choice that makes an adult's blend and an infant's blend. Worked like a charm for us!

Sounds like it could be thrush or nipple eczema. Could you possibly be reacting to the Lansinoh?

I have the Exact same thing! i also had it 7+ years ago with my first child. Even after we weaned at age 3.5. it took months for it to go away on its own.

This time i was more proactive..
    My doc was stumped as I had assumed it was thrush. We tried Gentian violet (didn't work), acidophilis (no luck there), as well as Nutribiotic grapefruit seed extract (also didn't work).
    She said it might be eczema with yeast and gave me a prescription for some cream that is a steroid and clortrimozole mixed together. it works pretty well, but you can only use it for a few days because it can make the skin too thin. Lanisoh does NOTHING to help me!

I am feeling better, but still have a little dry peely skin (especially around the edge of my aerolas). One breast is worse than the other one.

My Doc looked at me and said it wasn't an infection or dermatitis. He said it was pretty much just a normal condition from BFing and that I just need to keep using Lanolin. He said I have sensitive skin (true) and this is one reason why some women quit bfing.

How can this be the case if this is the first I have seen of this dry peeliness since bfing from day 1 (DD is now 4months!). Does this make sense at all? Do some ladies just suddenly get chaffed?

I do think the condition may have started when my DD started nursing a little more during her 3mo. old growth spurt.

I guess I will just monitor the condition to see if it gets better/worse and go back to the Doc if it seems like I am not just "chapped."

Oh- to answer ?s. I don't think I'm reacting to the Lanolin as I've been using it the whole time I've been BFing and haven't had a problem previously. DD did recently start taking a paci, but I had this problem before I introduced her to it. She has been chewing way more on her fingers though -- I think she is teething. It may be a little bacteria or something she introduced into her mouth (and onto me). I'll keep monitoring---

Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by moo_momma
    I am feeling better, but still have a little dry peely skin (especially around the edge of my aerolas). One breast is worse than the other one.

My Doc looked at me and said it wasn't an infection or dermatitis. He said it was pretty much just a normal condition from BFing and that I just need to keep using Lanolin. He said I have sensitive skin (true) and this is one reason why some women quit bfing.

How can this be the case if this is the first I have seen of this dry peeliness since bfing from day 1 (DD is now 4months!). Does this make sense at all? Do some ladies just suddenly get chaffed?

I do think the condition may have started when my DD started nursing a little more during her 3mo. old growth spurt.

I guess I will just monitor the condition to see if it gets better/worse and go back to the Doc if it seems like I am not just "chapped."
    No, you Dr does not make sense to me. What you are discribing is NOT normal. I would strongly suggest a 2nd oppinion.