Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with nipple pain

Question Help with nipple pain

I guess I could always call my OB, but I'm not sure if my symptoms warrant a visit.

2 days ago my one side of my right breast was very hard. I had this before in my left breast and I was told by my OB to nurse like crazy and it should go away. Following the same advice, I nursed on the hard right breast and it eventually cleared up. This time however, I felt intense nipple pain during nursing but it somewhat goes away after the first 5 mins. The pain is only at the nipple. I examined my nipple and notice that there was a bit of discoloration near one of the ducts. It's a bit white but it's very small. I instantly thought of thrush, but my nipple doesn't have the characteristics of thrush except for this white bit, and it's quite small, about the size of a pin head. Also, LO doesn't have any symptoms of thrush and nurses quite happily. His latch is also good.

I also noticed a dip in my supply with this breast as well. I was only able to pump half the amount I used to (I checked the pump and membranes, all checked out fine).

Does this sound like thrush?

Default Re: Help with nipple pain

could this be it? nipplebleb
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like what I have but my nipple doesn't look like the photo they have. The white on my nipple is more around the duct. When I hand express, I can see milk coming out from that duct but the skin around it is white. Maybe I should just wait it out for today and see?

I would wait if out a while if it were me, I would continue to nurse/pump on that side and if it doesn't improve then go see a doctor. But I'm sure there are more knowledgeable ladies here who could give you better advice. Good luck! And keep us updated!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet