Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply this late in the game?

Default Oversupply this late in the game?

My LO is 14 weeks old and I have never once had a concern about oversupply (actually I used to worry that I didn't have enough)...But now, for the past few days, my breasts have been engorged throughout the day, making for a stressful situation for me and my baby. I was previously pumping about 2 extra oz. per day to put away just in case and to boost my supply...but I have stopped doing that because I have more than I think I'll ever need. Now, I know this must be related to me not pumping anymore. But I have taken pumping breaks in the past too without any problem, and also, I don't always pump that extra amount every day, and it's already been 4 days since I last pumped. Shouldn't this have evened out by now? The only other thing that I've been doing differently of late is eating more fruits and vegetables and possibly grains. Could this have anything to do with it? Any advice on what I should do? Just a little confused on what my next step should be. Thank you very much for your time.

Default Re: Oversupply this late in the game?

your baby is very young!
    Any breast pain I used as a good excuse to get the baby and go to bed.
    I bet your baby is just done with a growth spurt too.
    are you trying to do to much?

If you feal like you need to pump I would just till you feal beter
    you don't want a clogged duct or worse.

Ashley is 1 in two weeks and I still get mega-boobs (or boob!!) every now and again. There doesnt seem to be rhyme or reason to it, I just take it as an indication that he needs a little extra Mumma-love...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

My OS was not diagnosed until LO was 3 mo., so it possible, but you might not go gung ho block feeding unless your sure. At 14 weeks, has LO slowed down on frequency lately? that may contribute. You mentioned eating more grains, do you eat oatmeal? Many women say oatmeal increases supply and I have heard of some moms with oversupply who had success by removing oatmeal from their diet.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Thank you all very much. And yes, I have been eating more oatmeal! The potential culprit! Darn it is really good oatmeal too. I'll have to try that out. (in the meantime I have been feeding more off of one breast before switching, not quite block feeding I guess, and that seems to have evenned it out a bit)...Thanks again!