Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it teething or is weaning starting?

Default Is it teething or is weaning starting?

I'm so frustrated after today. My daughter, who is 8 1/2 months old so easily gets distracted from nursing and it's getting worse. I'm to the point where I turn the lights off, there's no noise of tv or anything and i'm trying my hardest to keep her interested but she just goes to sleep without hardly nursing. To keep her awake I must move her, or have some light on in which case she'll always find something to be distracted about...the furniture, her shadow on the wall, the floor......anything. She'll pop on for a few seconds and then completely fling herself away from me, almost falling off the pillow and my lap and then look around for a few seconds and come back and repeat the process. I'm at a loss for what to do and today i'm a little concerned over her health. She's fine, no dehydration signs or anything and very active but she just has not nursed but twice today.

She is getting her two top front teeth which very well could be the source of the problem, but i'm not sure what to do in the meantime. I feel like i've tried everything from nursing her in quiet places with no or little distractions and even icing my nipples before latching her, giving her cold rags to chew right before nursing and even walking around trying to nurse her. Nothing works. She's even given up her "nightcap" before bed and would prefer her daddy to carry her around till she falls asleep only to wake around 4 hours later hungry, eats and then goes right back to sleep without eating much at all it seems. She does best when she's tired or just waking from a nap or sleep. Her best nursing is in the morning when she wakes she'll nurse about three times in the span of a couple of hours and doze in and out of sleep, but it's a good nursing, she eats for around 8 minutes each time which is great. However, during the rest of the day I have problems and at night I have problems. The only times she will nurse is right before her two naps during the day and even then it's only a couple of minutes and she drops off to sleep.

How can I tell if she is weaning herself (dropping the nightcap feed makes me think she is) or if she's just teething and this will all be overwith and return to normal in a couple of days when her tooth pops out. I just don't know what to do, any suggestions would be helpful and I will be calling her pediatrician about this too. Thanks ladies! **hugs**

Cassie

Default Re: Is it teething or is weaning starting?

Definitely sounds like teeth. Technically, when you start solids, weaning has begun, but is it such a slow, gradual process that you hardly notice. So, yes, she may be weaning, but the end isn't likely anywhere in the near future. (Does that make sense?) And, you might find that when her teeth aren't bothering her, she'll go back to nursing to sleep.

The best way a found to get through these times was to trust my baby that he was getting enough, take advantage of the times when he did nurse well, express milk if I got uncomfortable, and be very thankful when it was over. It sounds like everything is normal and will be fine.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thank you very much! My pediatrician also told me to "just hang in there" and nurse whenever she does want to and pump if I get uncomfortable. I suppose if she really really wanted the milk she'd stay long enough to get what she needs even if she has to "nurse" 18 times a day for 30 seconds each time lol. She did much better yesterday, she had four true nursing sessions throughout the day so I was so grateful.......but I did give her tylenol twice yesterday so that probably helped her a lot. Hopefully it will all be over soon, one tooth has cut and the other one is on its way. Thanks again!

My sympathies with your struggles. I'm experiencing the same thing right now. I even resorted to trying to nurse her in my walk-in closet once because no bedroom was dark enough once the sun rose! And nope, it didn't work either! Take a deep breath and trust that this phase will pass soon.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09