Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: some questions..

Default some questions..

just some random questions that ive always wondered about..

are wet nappies more important than poopy? i know some bf babies only go once every few days, but ds has at least 4 poopy nappies a day..and about 5-6 wet ones (ive done the 60-90 mls water in a nappy weight test) and some of these heavier than what would be considered a sufficiently wet nappy.....

also..ds has slowed down a lot on the weight gain...only 9.5 oz in 3 weeks.....he had been at about 10 oz a week..but he is more active now....but is any weight gain still good enough? if he wasnt getting enough milk would he still put on weight, not put on weight or lose weight? i know im probably worrying too much..but i cant help it tbh..and if any1 can answer any of the above questions i hope it will put my mind at ease,,,i dont know why but i seem to be worrying overly much about his slow weight gain now..2 oz in 1 week. then only 7oz in 2 weeks..i know he will slow down as he gets older and is more active...but that is a big jump from the 10-15 oz a week he had been putting on, and it happened so suddenly..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: some questions..

I think a reason why wet diapers are referred to so often is that they will be the first to stop if a baby is dehydrated. The intestines are going to keep working so long as there's something in them, so that's a much harder guideline to follow, but the kidneys will start conserving water quickly when the intake is decreased.

Wet stools are a sign of good hydration, too, but to not poop for a day isn't an emergency where not peeing for a day very well could be...make sense?

Default Re: some questions..

Yes, wets are more 'important' than poops (read more about the importance of their output here)
    Their weight does slow down and can jump around and it all be fine because you'd really want to look at the growth over the course of a longer peiod of time rather than one week to the next - y/k? . You can read more about breastfed babies and their weight gain here.
    This page deals with some of the problems that might be the "cause" if it was actually a problem ( which I am not saying it is )

Last edited by Number3; April 20th, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.