Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mucusy poop

Default Mucusy poop

My son is 6 months & his poop is often green, but sometimes yellow & is sometimes mucusy. Should I be concerned? I've read that green mucusy poop can indicate that the baby is not getting enough hindmilk, but my son has gained weight like a champ (he was 7 lbs 3 oz at birth & is now 19 lbs 10 oz) so I don't think that's the case.
    Thanks!
    Sarah

Default Re: Mucusy poop

The mucous is more likely from a sensitivity/allergy. The green could indeed be from not enough hindmilk, among other things. But since he's doing well and is 6 mo, I'd just maybe start writing down what he's/you're eating and when it happens try to make a connection

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

They (ped's) say that mucus and/or blood in the stool is a sign of a milk protein allergy.

My son had a some mucus in his poop at your son's age. He also got really red, scaly cheeks. When I cut down on the dairy I took in, which was a lot, I noticed a decrease in his red, scaly cheeks and in his diapers. I kept asking the ped. if this was an allergy and I've been told no repeatedly. I think it has to be a pretty drastic reaction where there's no mistaking it for it to be a true allergy. I figure my ds must have a sensitivity then. Now that he's old enough, he can eat some dairy products. He flares back up when he eats milk-containing products, so I really limit them until I can find a ped. who'll work with me on this. I'm also having a difficult time finding anything on it on the computer, so I'm going to have to go to the library or something.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

My DS started to get the mucusy poop when he started to teeth. I read in a book that it's common and the mucusy is from the extras slavia that they swollow from teething.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long