Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking ahead (feeding while away)

Default Thinking ahead (feeding while away)

Dear friends,
    I am expecting my second child in July. I have a son who is 2 yr. 8 m. We have had a wonderful breastfeeding relationship, and he nurses now only to sleep. When he was an infant, I was taking a full course load as a grad student and working 20 hours per week as a research assistant. I pumped at work and in the evening, but I simply could not produce enough milk to leave with him. When I was away, he got the expressed milk plus formula. When I was home, he always got the breast. This system worked pretty well (no nipple confusion), but I still regret having to use the formula.

With Baby #2, I will only need to be away for about 2 hours, 3 days per week. (I teach one university class.) I think with better dedication to pumping and perhaps better hydration (I know I was bad about that!) I will be able to pump enough milk for the brief periods that I will be away. I would prefer not to use bottles at all, but I'm confused about cup feeding. I've done some reading online, but I can't figure out what "cup" I would be using. I saw Medela's contraption (SoftCup feeder) , but do I really need something so complicated? Has anyone done cup feeding?

And while I'm at it...anyone really successful at pumping? My sister-in-law was amazing at it (exclusively pumped for two sons), but I would like other input as well. With my first son, I wasn't very committed to pumping while at home because I already hated being away from him all day. I never wanted to take more time away to hanging out with "the machine."

Okay...thanks for any help you can offer.

Erica
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."

Default Re: Thinking ahead (feeding while away)

Dear friends,
    I am expecting my second child in July. I have a son who is 2 yr. 8 m. We have had a wonderful breastfeeding relationship, and he nurses now only to sleep. When he was an infant, I was taking a full course load as a grad student and working 20 hours per week as a research assistant. I pumped at work and in the evening, but I simply could not produce enough milk to leave with him. When I was away, he got the expressed milk plus formula. When I was home, he always got the breast. This system worked pretty well (no nipple confusion), but I still regret having to use the formula.
    Congrats on your new edition!
    Some mother's do have a harder time than others pumping, but there are lots of tips we can give you to increase your output.
    First the type of pump is important. Most mothers who are working out of the home will need a good double electric pump, for an occasional separation from baby a hand pump can do the job. See more here about picking out a pump.
    Also some really great info about pumping
    When you start pumping and are having problems we can help you with that. Some mothers find it hard to let down for the pump. There are things to help with that.
    Some mom's just find that pumps really don't work for them for whatever reason. There is always the option to hand express. It's free and again as with pumping some mom's have better success with this method.
    See here for the Marmet Technique

With Baby #2, I will only need to be away for about 2 hours, 3 days per week. (I teach one university class.) I think with better dedication to pumping and perhaps better hydration (I know I was bad about that!)
    Hydration is very important! And stress is also a big factor in pumping, we just don't get the rush of hormones as quickly as if we were with our babies and often times it's harder to respond to the pump right away.
    In a perfect world you would pump as often as your baby nursed. It's often not realistic to pump every 45 minutes but pumping every 2-3 hours is usually a good bet. Keeping your breast drained and from becoming engorged is very important.

I will be able to pump enough milk for the brief periods that I will be away. I would prefer not to use bottles at all, but I'm confused about cup feeding. I've done some reading online, but I can't figure out what "cup" I would be using. I saw Medela's contraption (SoftCup feeder) , but do I really need something so complicated? Has anyone done cup feeding?
    It doesn't have to be complicated, and you can use something as simple as a dixie cup. A small flexible cup is what your looking for. After your baby is a little older you can go to a larger cup or even a sippy cup if you are alright with that.

And while I'm at it...anyone really successful at pumping?
    We have lot's of mama's here who've been successful and can share what worked for them, even mom's who exclusively pump. It can be done, sometimes it takes a lot of work and dedication, we can help you though it!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Back when I was in nursing school we "cup" fed infants who were having issues latching. Its not very efficent and pretty messy. I would never do it on a regular basis. WE just used medicine cups. I guess I am not sure why you are so against bottles???? You can get BPA free ones if that is what you are concerned about. I gave my dd a bottle a week ( of breastmilk) up until about 6 months. She never had nipple confusion. If you wait until breastfeeding is well established ( 2-4 weeks) and stay with a low flow nipple I doubt you will have any issues. GL

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    I guess I am not sure why you are so against bottles???? You can get BPA free ones if that is what you are concerned about. I gave my dd a bottle a week ( of breastmilk) up until about 6 months. She never had nipple confusion. If you wait until breastfeeding is well established ( 2-4 weeks) and stay with a low flow nipple I doubt you will have any issues. GL
    Well, I guess I'm not so against bottles. I guess I have to share more back-story to clarify why I've been looking for an alternative. I fought with our pediatrician about Fletcher's slow weight gain from the time Fletcher was one week old until he was just under a year. It was so stressful. Looking back now, I don't think there was really anything wrong, but one theory was that he was no longer effectively extracting milk because he had been receiving bottles since about 5 weeks old. I know that the theory doesn't hold much weight, but it's been nagging at me for a long time. I'm just hoping to avoid a similar situation.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."