Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lump in armpit...please help

Default lump in armpit...please help

Hello. I had a baby girl on 4/11/08. This is my second child and I have an overabundant milk supply as I did with the first. However, this baby is much different. She eats only every few hours where my first daughter seemed to eat all of the time! The first few days I was told not to pump because it would make the demand so much greater. After a few days I did pump as my breasts were becoming painful.
    After pumping a few days later I found a lump under my armpit. I did mention this to the dr who said it was probably from nursing. He said it felt like a lymph node and if it didnt go away in two weeks he would send me to a breast surgeon. Is this common to get a lymph node from nursing? I will say that it is on the right side and this is the side that was most painful before I pumped. However, i have been on keflex(antibiotic) due to complications with my incision. So no infection should arise. I read a clogged duct should get better within 48 hours and it has been over that now so I am starting to worry quite a bit. Is two weeks a safe time to wait? Any advice you could give on this would be helpful.

Default Re: lump in armpit...please help

I had a swollen lymph node under my armpit as well. my doctor said that because my milk supply was so large it was pushing against the lymph nodes causing them to swell. It was tender for a while, but went away within a week. Keep us updated!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I ended up seeing a breast surgeon for this very thing! It has gotten better, though sometimes I notice it again.

Same here... it startled me to have a little lump in my armpit, but it was breastfeeding related and was gone in 2-3 weeks. It sounds like your Dr is on top of it, so try not to worry too much at this point. Keep BF/pumping, and hopefully it will go down soon. Congrats on your baby girl!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you. You have no idea what relief you each have given me. I am so stressed about it but now feel a lot better. Will it just disappear or go away over a few days? Just curious. Again, thank you for all your support. This message board is so great.

Mine went away completely on its own

(This forum IS great isnt it! It SAVED me early on, I had a million questions/ worries/fears and the ladies here helped me so much. I read almost everything, and post once in a while too. Glad you found it! Pass it on!)

mine got smaller and smaller until one day it was gone I actually had another appt booked at my doctors office and when I got there he felt for the lump and it was non-existant, lol
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I had the exact same thing. My was actually as large as a baseball. The doctor said that I actually have extra breast tissue under my arm and that is why my supply also was under my arm at the beginnign when it was an oversupply. Mine took about three weeks to go away, but the pain went away after a week. He told me that when I do start going get to mammograms to get it checked out though.
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

I had some of these when I was pregnant and my dr had started me on a hormone medication. What was it....Progestin maybe? It went away when I stopped taking it a month later. I always figured it was due to a hormone influx. After LO was born, I got another one and assumed it was the same thing. It went away after a few days. Yeah!

I just want to throw an alternative hypothesis out there: the swelling in your armpit may not be a lymph node, but a part of your breast tissue. Many women find that their breast tissue extends into the armpit area.

I also have a question for you about your nursing/pumping routine. Are you nursing and pumping, or just pumping? If you are pumping after nursing in order to drain your breasts and make yourself more comfortable, you are probably making a bad situation worse. The more frequently and thoroughly you drain your breasts, the more milk you will make. Remember, supply = demand!

When you are experiencing engorgement in the early days, the best thing to do to get it to go away is to leave it alone. Every time milk sits around in your breast, your body gets the signal that you're making too much, and ratchets down production. For discomfort, you can try wearing cold cracked cabbage leaves in your bra- they feel nice and there is supposed to be some compound in the cabbage that reduces the swelling. If that isn't doing the trick, you probably want to pump- but only just barely enough to relieve the pressure/pain.

Hang in there!!!