Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting and breastfeeding

Default biting and breastfeeding

My DS just had his under the tongue thing clipped because he couldn't nurse (in the meantime I have had to pump mostly because he was unable to latch correctly)...I have tried to breastfeeding and he started biting again (he would bite when I used a nipple shield and would completely flatten the nipple...talk about pain from hell).

any ideas on how to stop him from biting?

He is seeing a physical therapist to help get his jaw muscles and tongue muscles to loosen up...but we don't go again until Monday (and we'll see a LC then too) but anyone have any thoughts?

Default Re: biting and breastfeeding

I hope that something here can help you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

but he's only 3 weeks

So really it's more of a latch issue? It sound like your baby is getting special help because he has special needs. He doesn't open wide ever? Is that right?Because my suggestion is to stick you finger in and pop him off and always try to shove as much as your ariola as possible in his mouth so that even when he's clamping down, it's not on your nipple. Is it possible for you to do that with him?

Mary, how's it going now? Did the LC offer any suggestions for the biting issues? Please keep us updated.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)