Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very wet poop. Worried.

Default Very wet poop. Worried.

Looking for advice, comfort, help.

Our baby's been home from the hospital for just over a week. Things started very good as he was very big and healthy at birth. He went through the mirconum and green poop stages just like he should but then stoped pooping for a bit. He lost some weight and his Doctor figured the breast milk just wasn't quite enough for him yet and had us start suplimenting the breast milk with Simulac as needed and sure enough it helped the weight and seemed to restart things BUT... since moving on to the "yellow" poop stage his BMs have remained infrequent (1 to 2 a day) and become very, very wet. Totally liquid poop really.

I'd be worried about diarreaha except for the fact that he only does it once or twice a day at most. He's feeding great and peeing on the regular schedual 6-8 times a day fine. So folks I've talked to don't think he's in danger of dehydration, But this is the third or fourth day like this now and I'm getting woried for him.

We see the doctor again first thing Mon. morning. Any advice?

Default Re: Very wet poop. Worried.

I am not very experienced but I will give me little advice. Someone more qualified will come along soon I suggest that you nurse as often as possible. It does not soud like dehydration if your baby is producing that many wet diapers. Have you tried supplementing with pumped breast milk instead of formula? FOrmula can upset their tummies so that could cause the runny poop. I also suggest breast compressions to help the baby get hind milk. Hope it gets better. Hang in there.

Here are some good articles on ways to tell if baby is getting enough milk and what their output should be:

non-LLL sources
    http://www.umc-cares.org/health_info...&ArticleID=166

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

LLL article
    http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/...Jan98p123.html

An exclusively breastfed baby's poop is normally watery and may have curds.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Elka View Post
    Looking for advice, comfort, help.

Our baby's been home from the hospital for just over a week. Things started very good as he was very big and healthy at birth. He went through the mirconum and green poop stages just like he should but then stoped pooping for a bit. He lost some weight and his Doctor figured the breast milk just wasn't quite enough for him yet and had us start suplimenting the breast milk with Simulac as needed and sure enough it helped the weight and seemed to restart things BUT... since moving on to the "yellow" poop stage his BMs have remained infrequent (1 to 2 a day) and become very, very wet. Totally liquid poop really.

I'd be worried about diarreaha except for the fact that he only does it once or twice a day at most. He's feeding great and peeing on the regular schedual 6-8 times a day fine. So folks I've talked to don't think he's in danger of dehydration, But this is the third or fourth day like this now and I'm getting woried for him.

We see the doctor again first thing Mon. morning. Any advice?
    Follow your doctor's advice of course however, I went through the same thing and was told that unless her temp is 100.4, and she stops urinating, that I should not worry too much. He is not dehydrated if he is urinating. Breastfed babies do have looser stools and there will be days when they do not poop. When your baby goes through growth spurts, he may nurse more often and the change may make the stool watery. Also a heads up, it may happen again even if it is resolved this week. The digestive system is still adapting for the first two months or longer and around week five, a lot of babies go through this again.(This was according to my ped, your ped may disagree)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Hi Elka and ! Congratulations on your little baby boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Novismom View Post
    Breastfed babies do have looser stools and there will be days when they do not poop.
    This is true, except in the first six weeks of life. Newborn babies' bowels are constantly working. After six weeks, then the bowel movements may slow down in frequency if baby is exclusively breastfed. Until then, the frequent, watery, yellow, seedy stools are normal for a newborn. If all of the sudden baby doubles or triples the number of poops in a day, then it's diarrhea and time to call the nurse. Again, this is for breastmilk-only babies. I don't know about newborns who get formula as well. I would think that formula would do one of two things: clog baby up or, if it doesn't agree with his system, might cause darrhea. I don't really know. I know that babies who are exclusively formula fed have green, smashed-pea-like poop.

Do you see the "seeds" in the poop? I'm not exactly sure what the poop is supposed to be like since it's both formula and breastmilk. I'd call your nurse just to be sure.
    Last edited by mommamags; April 20th, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Hmm. Looks like our peds disagree. I just wanted to note that mine in particular told me about baby not pooping very early on and said it can happen any time after the mec has passed...I suppose that is why it is called medical "advice" and not the gospel!

You are right about sudden changes and the only reason I know anything about this is that the first week we were home (she was not quite three weeks old then) I called the hospital about this issue. It was nothing in her case, but I always feel better talking to a doctor when I am unsure.
    Last edited by Novismom; April 21st, 2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the timeframe

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Novismom View Post
    Hmm. Looks like our peds disagree. I just wanted to note that mine in particular told me about baby not pooping very early on and said it can happen any time after the mec has passed...I suppose that is why it is called medical "advice" and not the gospel!

You are right about sudden changes and the only reason I know anything about this is that the first week we were home (she was not quite three weeks old then) I called the hospital about this issue. It was nothing in her case, but I always feel better talking to a doctor when I am unsure.
    Yep, you're right. After the meconium has passed, then the pooping can slow down. If baby doesn't poop for a day, then watch out for the mother load! I looked again in my baby "bible" and some newborns, like mine, poop at every feeding. Others slow down, which I forgot is normal if it happens.

Elka, how'd it go today?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

And after posting that, my daughter had a very bad poopy night.

It comes and goes I guess. She is wetting her diapers and has no fever but I will still have a quick phone call to our ped to double check since she is especially gassy. (I suspect it was due to not pooping the day before and extra nursing at night. She is due for another growth spurt methinks)

Hi there,
    My son is now about 10 weeks old. I had problems with nursing as baby got dehydrated. I used Similac and then started to relactate and give baby breastmilk via bottle. He went through the same thing, meconium, green poop, yellow poop, and a couple of days of very runny frequent poops. I thought he had diarhea also, but my doc said it was okay. It took him a while to adjust to my milk going through the full change from colostrum to mature milk. For me it took about two weeks for my milk to mature completely. Until then it was yellowish and had more of a laxative effect.

My son went from pooping a few times a day to once a day, to every few days. Since he is now over two months, he poops once a week, sometimes a day longer. As there bowels mature they will often go longer between, so don't worry, that happens to some babies as they get older. He is ALWAYS very gassy, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with when he needs to go. As long as baby's poop stays very soft, don't worry if she misses a few days.

Best Wishes!
    Heather Z