Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush while extended bf

Default Thrush while extended bf

I'm pretty sure I have thrush, so I've started gv for it this morning. (I had a crack that just wouldn't heal and now I've got shooting pain, but no fever or hard spots that would make me think it was a plugged duct or mastitis). DD is 18 months old and usually only nurses first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. Unfortunately, she took one look at my purple gentian violeted nipple and refused to nurse on that side. She did make up for it by nursing longer on the other side.

If I'm only nursing twice a day, do I have to pump on the side she's refusing or can I just wait until she agrees to nurse on that side again? I'm not uncomfortable or anything.

Default Re: Thrush while extended bf

Is she nursing on it now? If not, maybe try hand expressing, especially if you're concerned that pumping may make the pain or damage worse? I would imagine that expressing as many times per day as your dd normally would nurse on that side would be all that is needed.

Keep us updated!

Default Re: Thrush while extended bf

She is still refusing to nurse on that side. She'll lift up my shirt, look at it, and then put my shirt back down. I did pump yesterday mainly because I was starting to feel uncomfortable. Hoping that this ends soon. I'm feeling much better, thrushwise anyways.