Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby constantly hungry

Default baby constantly hungry

My baby is 8 weeks old and seems to be constantly hungry. I am solely breastfeeding and although he seems content in the morning and through the night he is permanently hungry from about 12 o clock lunchtime until 8 in the night, he is only having a half and hour break in between feeds. I have tried expressing to check that he is getting enough food and he is taking 6 and a half ounces of expressed breastmilk and could still take more. He is a big baby so its possible that he is just very hungry and his weight gain is good so there are no issues with the quality of the milk he is getting but I am finding it exhausting feeding him so often duering the day and it means I very rarely get to go out during the day. Does anyone have any ideas of how much milk he is supposed to be taking at his age and any advice as I want to continue breastfeeding

Default Re: baby constantly hungry

sounds like he has hit a growth spurt which is common to feel like human milk machine as long as he has a good diaper count i wouldnt be concerned about how much he is getting.

sounds like a growth spurt. Usually growth spurts only last a few days (info here) so hopefully your LO will give you some much needed rest soon!
    Last edited by sch.mommy; April 19th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Watch for signs that he IS getting enough milk:
    (1) Nurses as often as he wants for as long as he wants, usu. 8-12 times/24 hours;
    (2) Has 6-8 wet and 3-4 messy diapers per day;
    (3) Gains weight appropriately (check with MD).

While annoying and common, these are NOT signs that he's not getting enough milk:
    (1) Fussiness.
    (2) Nurses frequently.
    (3) Doesn't sleep at night.
    (4) Takes milk from a bottle after you just finished nursing.
    (5) Soft, saggy breasts.
    (6) Not able to pump very much milk.

A lot of moms look to that second list and say, "Look, he's not getting enough!" Just remind yourself that that list is normal for babies and moms as they're getting used to life together!

It sounds like you are doing a great job!!! I don't see any reason to worry about the quantity or quality of milk you are making- as long as your baby is growing and having good diaper output, he's getting what he needs.

At 8 weeks, he could be going through a growth spurt, or he could just be one of those babies who really likes frequent feedings in the afternoon and evening. Feeding frequently in the later half of the day is really, really common- I personally think it's how a baby who is getting tired and maybe a bit cranky soothes himself and prepares for sleep.

I can totally understand why you would feel really exhausted by the constant feeding. There are a couple things you might want to try in order to give yourself a break, if you're not doing them already. Wearing your baby in a sling can be very soothing for him- he can hear your heartbeat, feel your motion, smell your smell, etc. Sometimes that's enough to soothe your baby without needing to nurse. Alternately, some moms learn how to feed their babies while they are in the sling, which enables mom to be up and around and out of the house instead of being pinned to one place. I have a friend who has mastered the art of nursing in a ring sling, and if I weren't another nursing mom, I would never know what her baby is doing in there! It's very modest. If the sling doesn't work, maybe a swing, or a vibrating bouncy seat, or a ride in the car will? Some babies find motion very soothing.

Hang in there!!! This stage will pass. As your baby grows and gets more interested in the outside world, he's going to let up on you.

It's great to hear from another mom going through the same thing! My LO is 9 weeks, and has been going through a "growth spurt" that has lasted for about four solid weeks now! He's a little porker :-) I don't have any advice for changing the eating pattern - I've just learned to have fun with it. I don't bother getting dressed anymore, and I give myself permission to let the house go - when else do you have permission to have a messy house? I also try to remind myself that in a few short months he'll be so busy running around that I won't get this (nearly constant) cuddle time. Breastmilk is also thinner than formula and drains very quickly from little tummies, so they really are hungry, and not just faking it. I just keep thinking back to when I was pregnant, and how pregnancy hunger was no joke! I was HUNGRY, and it was a matter of life & death!! I think God designed pregnancy that way so that we'd be more sympathetic to our hungry little babies!

One idea- do you think he's bored? I've found that happens with my little guy. You said that you rarely go out during the day. Perhaps if you made it a point to go out, he'll be so distracted with everything that he may go an hour between feedings, instead of just thirty minutes. I have a great nursing shawl that goes with me everywhere, and I've nursed in my share of bathroom stalls, too! Good luck!

Have managed to make my little one go over an hour between most feeds today which is a dramatic improvement although still some way to go. Took him out in his pram for a nice long walk and he seemed to forget about food for a while. also took him for a nice drive in his car seat which helped for a little bit although he screamed for a feed as soon as he got out of the car. hopefully its just a growth spurt. thanks for all the advice and support, its really appreciated!!!

Boy, it's great to see that other moms are going through what I went through! My little one was 11 lb 2 oz at birth (c-section all the way!), and up until about three weeks ago, he just ate CONSTANTLY. He will still do some cluster feeds at night where he just wants to nurse continually from about 6 or 7 pm until 9 or 10 pm, but then he (usually) sleeps for 7 or 8 hours and lets me get some rest!!!

Just so you know - the other day I had him at my mother in law's while I ran some errands and did some stuff around the house, and while he was gone, I pumped when I felt the letdown reflex. I got - get this - a grand total of nearly 10 oz! That means that when he's emptying both boobs (which he still does from time to time) that he is taking 10 oz (or more) at each feeding!!!!

No wonder I'm hungry all the time! I think THIS is what everybody means when they say "Eating for two"!!!!!