Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm new but would appreciate help regarding depression after weaning

Default I'm new but would appreciate help regarding depression after weaning

Hello, my name is Annie. I have two children - aged 3.5 and 18 months.

I breastfed my first until she was 17 months old, and she self weaned pretty much, and I was 2 months pregnant with her brother at this time. I went on to nurse him until he was 16 months, having stopped at the start of February past. Again he pretty much self weaned. It was a child led, gradual process both times.

With both children, I was ready to wean, and have not been conscious of feeling a loss of the nursing relationship - in both cases I felt 100% happy that it was the right time for us to wean.

However, lately I have been feeling dreadful. My self confidence has taken a real hit, I feel very insecure about many things, I cry very easily and frequently.

I have never before suffered from depression - but these days I feel 'blue' all the time. I also feel at times as if I have the worst case of PMS going. My skin is also terrible - I have multiple breakouts on my face, again not something I have ever dealt with, not even as a teenager, and I am very self conscious about my face as a result.

I have been trying to figure all of this out, and have been asking myself what could possibly cause me to feel this way. Then I figured for a period of 4 years I was either pregnant or breastfeeding, and now my body is not dealing with either of those things and I'm wondering if what I'm feeling is a result of my body trying to balance hormones out to 'normal' non-pregnant, non nursing levels?

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing after weaning completely? Or if I'm just quietly going a little bit nuts here?

Default Re: I'm new but would appreciate help regarding depression after weaning

Mild depression and mood swings after weaning is totally normal. Please see this resource for reassurance:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

Default Re: I'm new but would appreciate help regarding depression after weaning

Your not crazy mama your right, the hormones that were with you during nursing have gone way down and many mothers experience the blues after weaning. Even if it's been a couple of months since he's weaned.

It's ok to feel down - getting outside, writing in a journal, or just taking a little tad bit a time for yourself can help a lot. You've been weaned too!

I hope things even out for you soon - You can call a leader about this if you'd like to just talk with someone who probably knows how your feeling.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thank you so much for your responses - I am in tears here because it feels good to know that this is likely to be the reason I've been feeling so down.

The ironic thing about you mentioning a journal, is that I have kept an online journal in a blog for the last year - and I've taken a step back from it because I seriously was starting to think I'm not right in the head here and I didn't have the energy to articulate anything coherent in the blog - I should have kept on at it and maybe it would have helped - I will go back to it, soon.

I am also hoping that exercise is going to help - I've just bought a bike trailer and have been taking the kids out around the neighbourhood in it - and will up my walking with my son in his stroller. I am generally good about exercise - but my motivation for that has also waned lately.

I guess I just have to pull myself together and get over it - I'll check out the kellymom link, thank you - and may get in touch with our local LLL who've been so helpful to me in the past to see if anyone has any further tips.

Thank you all so much. This seems to be a wonderful forum. I was lucky both times not to have had any major issues when breastfeeding - but I wish I had found these forums then - to have been able to offer my experience or 'chat' with other moms facing the same issues as we did re: - family attitudes, nursing in public and all those good things

We're glad you found us now!

Keep us updated!