Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactating Hair Folicle

Default Lactating Hair Folicle

I'm hoping for some advice. I'm breastfeeding my fifth child who was born on the 8th April. I have two elder daughters and two-year-old twins, all my children were breastfed. When I was breastfeeding my second daughter I discovered a lump on my right breast at the edge of my areola. The doctor told me not to worry unless it grew. It never grew but remained there. In my pregnancy this time round I was surprised to find that the lump was releasing colostrum. Now that I'm breastfeeding the hair folicle above the lump is leaking milk quite impressively. My midwife tells me to go to the doctor. I'm just wondering if I really have to. It looks to me that I'm just wired strangely. Goodness knows why this didn't happen when I was breastfeeding the twins. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

Thank you.

Lou

Default Re: Lactating Hair Folicle

I leak milk on the edge of the areola on my left breast, but there's no bump. It's never bothered me though, so I've never had it checked. But since you're midwife seems concerned, I'd get it checked with your doc, just in case.
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

ive read about that someplace.......
    now if I can find the link.

http://cellbio.utmb.edu/microanatomy...ary_glands.htm

check out the last slide in that link.

Hi Mellie

Thank you so much for your message. It's reassuring to know that other people have this too. I wasn't worried until the midwife told me to go to the doctor so I'm really glad that it's something other people have too.

Lou

Hi Andrea

Thank you for your message too and for the link. I've had a look at the slides but I have to confess that I'm not sure what it means. Does it suggest that it's quite normal to have milk ducts attached to other places in the area?

Thank you so much

Lou

yup I think so...lol..
    it wasn't the link I was looking for the one I saw before was simpler.
    I'm still looking for you.

Could also be a tiny 3rd nipple? I've read that some people have them and don't know it until it starts lactating.

http://www.drstandley.com/medicalterms_history.shtml

heres something else that might help