Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I extract Milk before baby is born ???

Smile Can I extract Milk before baby is born ???

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and don't know if i have posted in the right place, apologies if I haven't, can anyone help me to answer my question.

I am 39 weeks pregnant, lactating like it is going out of fashion, have been producing ever since the beginning of pregnancy.

I am very keen to give baby my milk, however the thought of letting him latch on (bad experience with my first) makes me feels physically sick and makes my skin crawl (I feel sad that I feel like this) however my midwife came up with the idea of extracting and feeding from bottle from birth.

However what I want to know is, can I extract my milk before baby is born, so that I can get an adequate supply going ???????? I have opted for a home birth and the midwife said she wont leave till he has fed, and i don't know if I will be in a position to extract straight away.

Any thoughts or the answer would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jem

Default Re: Can I extract Milk before baby is born ???

Pumping while pregnancy has caused premature labor in some. It's not a good idea.

Welcome!

As carpentergirl said, pumping before birth can induce labor. Better just to wait and start pumping ASAP after your baby is born. If you are really worried that you won't be able to pump immediately after birth, do you have a trusted friend or relative who could give you some milk, just in case?

It's great that you've figured out a way to get breastmilk into your new baby without giving yourself the screaming heebie-jeebies! I can totally understand why struggling with a difficult latch with your first child would make you very apprehensive about nursing your second. (I had a horrible time with my newborn daughter's bad latch, and I often wonder if I could make it through the same challenges if I have a second child.) However, despite the fact that you've made a decision and you seem very much at peace with it, why not give nursing "direct from the tap" a try? Just once or twice? Every child is different, and your second baby could latch on with no problem whatsoever, and take to the breast like an old pro. There's no way to know unless you try... Right?

I agree this time might be very diffent for you!
    heres a link from kelly moms about how to pump for a baby that isn't nursing at the breast any.
    this is writting for after birth:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    Pumping is a lot of work!
    Did you get cracks and bleed with your 1st?
    Baby Tongue tied?
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; April 14th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Pumping while pregnancy has caused premature labor in some. It's not a good idea.
    definatly would not do!

I agree with trying to see if this time is different. My first breastfeeding experience was a NIGHTMARE!!! I hated, hated, hated it! Looking back, we just had a really bad latch and a really high maintenence baby. This time around, my lo latched on right away with absolutely no difficulty from day one. No sore nipples, no cracks and bleeding... all of the terrible things that happened the first time were not a problem this time. I wasn't very optimistic going into this time, but I'm glad I proved myself wrong. Now I don't think there's anything that could keep me from having this relationship with my future children!

At this point in time, milk production is totally hormonally driven. Your body will not be able to increase milk production until after the placenta is expelled.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Some mothers find that they can gently hand express colostrum to store in advance. If you choose to try this, do be aware that the colostrum will let-down in small quantities. Note that it can be difficult to find a way to safely store such tiny quantities (teaspoon or less). Have you talked to your midwife about this topic? She may be able to offer some more specific advice.

Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post

At this point in time, milk production is totally hormonally driven. Your body will not be able to increase milk production until after the placenta is expelled.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Some mothers find that they can gently hand express colostrum to store in advance. If you choose to try this, do be aware that the colostrum will let-down in small quantities. Note that it can be difficult to find a way to safely store such tiny quantities (teaspoon or less). Have you talked to your midwife about this topic? She may be able to offer some more specific advice.

Keep us updated!
    If you do want to store the colostrum, I have an idea. While at the hospital, after I had my lo, they thought he would stay at the nicu for a few days so they gave me a pump. We syringe fed him at first to avoid nipple confusion and I would pump whatever I could and pour it into a syringe, then put the little cap in the tip and put it in a cup of ice. You could probably just fill a syringe and put it in the freezer. Don't think that you need a ton either, at the hospital they thought 15ccs was enough. Have a wonderful labor!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Be careful! You can also wind up with oversupply and that can lead to a whole other array of issues like watery green poos, overactive letdown, etc. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have pumped before my milk came in on its own!

Thumbs up Re: Can I extract Milk before baby is born ???

But it's not premature labour is it? You are 39 weeks and only a week to go and even if you give birth 2 weeks early from week 40, it's still not classed as premature labour.

I say if you are over due, pumping might be a handy! A natural way of starting labour, instead of having sex and eating pineapple and curries?

Oh! P.S. A huge welcome to the forums!!!!